Re: a white cane question

Shelly Kane

Where can you get a telescopic cane?  I have folding canes and they are quite bulky and I can't fit them in my purse.  I would like it for identification and then I would use the folding cane while I'm walking independently.

Shelly

On 6/17/2021 5:17 AM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi Victor,

I have had at least 2 or 3 telescopic canes.
I really like them for places like airports and planes, restaurants.
When I was working, I kept one at work.
I like how easy it is to collapse them and hang them on a chair or in a pouch etc..
But!! All the ones I have had would be rated as flimsy, they break real easy, usually at the bottom joint.
I'd like to find one that did not break so easily.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor
Sent: June 16, 2021 11:13 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] a white cane question

Are there any good collapsible canes out there? I’m not talking about the folding ones. I’m talking about the telescopic ones. The ones that are kind of like an antenna. I’ve only put my hands on one and that was a long time ago. But I have heard that these telescoping canes break very easily.

Victor
On Jun 16, 2021, at 10:08 PM, Nancy Hill <girlyscream@comcast.net> wrote:

Almost every time I go out with husband or friend. I have my Seeing Eye Dog, Nelly and for 'just in case' I always carry a collapseable carbon fiber cane in side my purse.

I don't know how to do it, but could someone advise how to check if the cord that works a folding cane could be shortened to add to the solid feel of the cane while in use?

nancy

On 6/17/2021 12:13 AM, Victor wrote:
I usually take my cane wherever I go as well. I didn’t when I was younger, but I find myself doing it more now just to be on the safe side.

Victor
On Jun 16, 2021, at 8:02 PM, Troy Burnham <troyburnham34@gmail.com> wrote:
Monty,

This cane is 3 sections like the others I've had over the years, but as I said the shaft of this cane is just slightly bigger around than the others I've had. Maybe the elastic cord inside the shaft is slightly looser than I'm used to and that's what causes it to not seem quite as solid as my past canes have been. It may not be as fragile as it seems to be, I'm just used to the sections fitting together more snugly than this.

Troy

On 6/16/2021 6:41 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi Troy,
Mostof the canes I have seen are
4 sections which fit together quite snugly with and heavy, inner elastic chord.
They definitely do not fall apart.