Re: decided to buy a new desktop

Gene

I can’t comment on that. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] decided to buy a new desktop

No I’m  not saying that.

I’m saying I hope that Windows 10 takes advantage  of the power I have in this box.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:00 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

If you are saying that if you have all sorts of power so your machine isn’t working as hard and will last longer, I consider that very questionable.  Perhaps with an underpowered machine the machine working harder and producing more heat might shorten its life, but I doubt that having too much power would cause a machine to last longer.  And then, there is the cost.  If I spend six or seven hundred dollars for a machine and I use it seven or eight years, then I buy another one, if I want the same rough amount of power, it will cost less, perhaps much less.  I may be paying for two machines of the power I will be using in order to try to make one machine last longer.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 12:19 PM

Why not?

I have al of this power. What is the point if nothing will use it ?

I’d like to think because I have all of this power and can do all of these cores and  threading, that it’d run longer with things taking advantage of this.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 8:47 AM

Hi,

That is still a good machine I would think. A friend has a similar processor, the i7 6700 K if I remember right, and he said it is still mostly fast. And no unfortunately screen readers don't take advantage of multicore, and probably never will according to discussion on the NVDA group.

On 6/19/2021 4:43 PM, John Holcomb II wrote:

Yeah… When I bought this in 2017 AMD wasn’t in the game yet or I wouldn’t have bought this.

Do  our screen readers and Windows take advantage of multi-core processors yet I wonder?

Mine is overkill I know, but I’ll probably keep it until it becomes too slow.

Whitebox

3.75 gigahertz Intel Core i7-6950X

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH X99 Rev 1.xx

64GB DDR4 ram.

I forget which ram I put in here.

I plan to put an M.2 SSD in here next and upgrade to I guess it’ll be Windows 11? As right now I’m on a spinning Western Digital Red on Windows 7.

This will be much better when I put an M.2 in here I’m sure!

The graphics is a Nvidia GForce 210

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2021 2:05 PM

not only that, but heat generation too. My old Toshiba on dual core Haswell i5 would have fans scream even when watching youtube. But my Ryzen fifth gen is a much higher wattage part, but barely produces any heat, even under full load it isn't very bad. And more apps take advantage of multicore. Browsers for one, file encoders and compression tools, OCR software. But the number of things that take advantage will only grow as time passes. And right now fifth gen Ryzen surpasses Intel in even  in single core, and Intel is severely behind, on the desktop they backported a 10 nm  process to 14 nm, making rocket lake, dropping the number of cores on the 1900K by 2 to 8 from the 10 on the 10900K. If you read rocket lake i7 reviews, they are easily the worst processor reviews I have read ever.

On 6/19/2021 10:52 AM, John Holcomb II wrote:

Intel is still on the 14NM  process.

This moving to a smaller die size will help with power savings. AMD is killing it right now.

I’m not sure how many apps take advantage of multi-core though?

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2021 12:22 AM

They also use newer processor technology, 7 nanometer vs 14 nanometer for Intel, don't have as many hardware side channel vulnerabilities, and also generate less heat for the same performance thanks to the newer processor technologies. They have substantially better multicore core performance as well.

On 6/18/2021 4:57 PM, John Holcomb II wrote:

M.2 SSDs will be on anything but the bottom of the crop when it comes to desktops.

Same with hyper threading.

But here’s another thought to consider.

For single core performance, AMD is  worth a look. They have something similar to hyper threading which I forget what its called now.

John

He’s right and I forgot about that.

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 5:46 PM

I am not a tech but I doubt you have to worry about the case.  You seem to be worried that the problems you have with your computer are caused by heat.  there is no reason for that assumption. 

As has been asked, how do you intend to use your computer?  I know little about M2 slots but whether you have one may not matter to any extent depending on how you intend to use it.  My impression is that they are common on computers now but I am just stating an impression and I hope others discuss the question. 

I would imagine that other things you are worried about, hyperthreading, for example, are so standard in machines that are not bottom of the line that you probably don’t have to worry about whether a machine uyou buy has that ability.  I would imagine it is present in any machine that isn’t a bottom of the line budget machine.

As has been asked, how do you intend to use the machine?  I’ll ask further if you anticipate your uses changing to any significant extent over time.  After we know how you intend to use your machine, people can discuss such matters as price, power of machine, etc.  I think those questions of use are by far the most important in people advising you.

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 3:59 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] decided to buy a new desktop

Well, I guess I am coming in to this decade I am finally going to upgrade my desktop after 7 or 8 years.  So do I have to tell them I want an  m2 slot or is there another term?  I ran the Belarc adviser and it said I did not have  hiper threaded with my cores. I read up that the hiper threaded makes them faster for the PC.  Everything else was intergraded on the mother board, sound, internet card, graphics card and  memory. It was all intel integrated. The first thing to go out on this machine was the sound about 1.5 years ago. I am wired in to the modem as the wireless is not that great .I have to use a USB cord to get my printer to print too. So I am not sure what went out that these do not work anymore unless I do it threw a cable. I know the Bluetooth still works as my keyboard and mouse still work with the dongle. Monitor port does not work but I just switched to a  USB monitor. I was just wondering if I can get a tower  casing that vents heat more evenly. Or are the tower cases different these days. Thanks everybody.

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.