Re: Windows XP

Veronica Kirk

I would use it online depending upon what type antivirus is available, as then I would not have to use my windows-7 computer as much since it is my main computer.

Veronica

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 3:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Windows XP

You didn’t say you use your computer online or how.  You may not need antivirus protection, depending on how you use it.  But we would need to know more about that to have an opinion.

gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 3:04 PM

Thank you Gene for your reply.  I do have AVG on the XP that I have, but I am not sure if it is running properly.  I mainly use that computer for listening to CDs as WMP works very well, as does the CD player.  I did not know that Microsoft Essentials was used as far back as windows XP.  Many years ago I used this particular computer when I worked as a medical transcriptionist, and my company placed AVG on the machine.

Veronica

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:28 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Its an interesting question.  I’m curious if Microsoft is still making definitions available to Microsoft Security Essentials in XP.  it did for years after support stopped but I have no idea now.  and I have no idea if you can get the program that ran in XP.  But it was very accessible.  Perhaps others know more about that.

I use my XP machines for so little these days that I haven’t kept up with antivirus programs that are accessible and can be used.

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:02 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] Windows XP

I have read that some of you on this list still have a Windows XP.  I would like to know what do you use for virus protection.

Veronica

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.