From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 9:59 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Is this new Internet annoyance the start of a trend?

While I a;ppreciate NFB Newsline and use it off and on, separate is not equal and looking at something like the front page of The New York Times, and I would imagine of all sorts of other publications, is very different from looking at the publication with Newsline.  I can look at The Times front page and see an aggregation of articles from the paper and features not in the print paper.  I can see what articles the Times thinks are the most important because they are on the home page.  In addition, the home page has a few editors’ picks articles that change throughout the day.  Newsline has no equivalent for this very common way of looking at newspapers and magazines.

While I appreciate the contribution of Newsline, making a lot of publications available in a very convenient and portable form, it doesn’t alleviate the need for convenient access to the actual sites.

Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 8:42 AM

You can avoid all this extraneous garbage by reading newspapers and magazine on NFB Newsline or by downloading magazines like Reader's Digest from BARD and therefore avoid their annoying web sites altogether.

Gerald

On 6/22/2021 9:24 AM, Greg Daniel wrote:

Gene,

I read READER’S DIGEST for years, but stopped when their articles were essentially thumbnail sketches filled with links.  I wouldn’t mind if such links were posted at the end of articles, but as you point out, that doesn’t seem to be the way of modern journalism; after all, it’s all about catching the eye and attention of the reader immediately; after all, the reader may not read to the end of the article.

Greg