Re: Is this new Internet annoyance the start of a trend?

Pamela Dominguez

That happens when I’m on newsline.  I hate that.  But it isn’t new.  Pam.

From: Gene
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 9:20 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Is this new Internet annoyance the start of a trend?

The New York Times recently has begun inserting sections in articles containing text and links to related articles, or articles in the same section that are only related by category, such as that they are all opinion articles.  Here is an example:
This appears in the middle of an opinion article about Biden’s foreign policy:
OPINION DEBATEWill the Democrats face a midterm wipeout?
• EZRA KLEIN writes that “midterms typically raze the governing party” and explores just how tough a road the Democrats have ahead.
• JAMELLE BOUIE wonders whether voters will accept a party “that promises quite a bit but won’t work to make any of it a reality.”
• MAUREEN DOWD writes that Biden has “a very narrow window to do great things” and shouldn’t squander it appeasing Republican opponents.
• THOMAS B. EDSALL explores new research on whether the Democratic Party could find more success focusing on race or on class when trying to build support.

While I read other content online and haven’t seen an increase in this sort of thing, this could be the start of a new trend.  Have others seen an increase?

Ways of eliminating intrusive content such as Edge’s Immersive Reader, don’t detect and remove these long sections.  How do they look different to sighted readers?  Does the difference in appearance give any indication of how these sections might be detected and removed or skipped by screen-readers or features like Immersive Reader??

Gene

AVG logo

www.avg.com