Re: Is this new Internet annoyance the start of a trend?

Debbie April Yuille

It’s not just on websites. Lots of the iPhone news apps including apple news do this too.

Debbie

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: Wednesday, 23 June 2021 2:26 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Is this new Internet annoyance the start of a trend?

I’ve seen this in the middle of reader view on other s sites too.

Its not  always opinion but stuff that is related.

I’ve gotten down a rabbit whole because of this lol.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Greg Daniel
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 9:24 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Is this new Internet annoyance the start of a trend?

Gene,

I read READER’S DIGEST for years, but stopped when their articles were essentially thumbnail sketches filled with links.  I wouldn’t mind if such links were posted at the end of articles, but as you point out, that doesn’t seem to be the way of modern journalism; after all, it’s all about catching the eye and attention of the reader immediately; after all, the reader may not read to the end of the article.

Greg

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 9:20 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Is this new Internet annoyance the start of a trend?

The New York Times recently has begun inserting sections in articles containing text and links to related articles, or articles in the same section that are only related by category, such as that they are all opinion articles.  Here is an example:

This appears in the middle of an opinion article about Biden’s foreign policy:

OPINION DEBATEWill the Democrats face a midterm wipeout?

• EZRA KLEIN writes that “midterms typically raze the governing party” and explores just how tough a road the Democrats have ahead.

• JAMELLE BOUIE wonders whether voters will accept a party “that promises quite a bit but won’t work to make any of it a reality.”

• MAUREEN DOWD writes that Biden has “a very narrow window to do great things” and shouldn’t squander it appeasing Republican opponents.

• THOMAS B. EDSALL explores new research on whether the Democratic Party could find more success focusing on race or on class when trying to build support.

While I read other content online and haven’t seen an increase in this sort of thing, this could be the start of a new trend.  Have others seen an increase? 

Ways of eliminating intrusive content such as Edge’s Immersive Reader, don’t detect and remove these long sections.  How do they look different to sighted readers?  Does the difference in appearance give any indication of how these sections might be detected and removed or skipped by screen-readers or features like Immersive Reader??

Gene

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.