Re: Email Question

John Holcomb II

Hey Shelly.
I’m not here to decide what is best for you but let me explain something to you.
If you use iMap then whatever happens server side will apply to every device you use at the same time.
Let’s say you get a message on your thunderbird and open it and read it .
Once you go to your phone, the same message will be there and it’ll be marked as read.
Let’s say you open a message on your phone, read it , then reply to it.
Your message will be marked as replied, you’re reply be put into a sent folder.
Let’s say you then go to your PC. You’ll see the same message, but it’ll be marked as replied, and you’ll see it in the sent folder, just as you would on your phone.

This applies to anything you do using email.
Deleting messages, forwarding messages, creating folders, literally anything.
See the advantage of iMap is that it doesn’t matter what device you do what on.
I used to use Pop3 some while back, but see this is exactly why IMAP exists.
For this very reason. For people who have and use multiple devices.
this way you don’t have to worry about what you open where and when.
This way you don’t have to think, hmm. Did I open the mail on my PC, is it on my phone? Where is it?
Where is the reply?:
It also just makes managing mail a lot easier.
IMAP is made for multiple device/web access.

No mattter if you do these things on your thunderbird, or your phone, or the web interface, the server will keep track of everything that is done and it’ll be mirrored across devices. I did read the thread, but not sure if anyone explains in greater detail the advantages of imap.
In case they didn’t, that’s why i wrote you here.
I’d personally a advise you switch to iMap with your mails. It’ll make life a lot easier for you, in my opinion.

Take care,
John

Sent from my iPod

On Jul 30, 2021, at 2:57 AM, Shelly Kane <shellykane323@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you so much for explaining this to me. I use a pop3 account and have for years. Now at least I understand what's going on. I wouldn't use my phone that much for email. I was just looking into it. If I don't download my mail right away onto Thunderbird, I can see it on the web or my phone. I have no idea how to use IMap so I would rather stick with the pop3 which I know. Thanks so much for your help.

Shelly

On 7/29/2021 7:51 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi There,

You must have your mail account set to imap for this to woork properly. Imap will automatically leave a copy on the server of all received mail. With pop3, all e-mail is downloaded just one time and nothing is left on the server.
I forget what mail account you have, so i can't help any more than that.

On 7/29/2021 4:28 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
Hi Group:

I have a complicated question about my email and hope someone can answer this. I tried putting my email account on my phone last night so I can start looking at it and not get on the computer all the time. So after I got it all set up, it worked great. The mail downloaded just fine and I wanted to make sure it still worked in Thunderbird because I use the computer more. It downloaded in Thunderbird just fine but here's the problem. When I went back on the phone to see if the mail was in both places, Thunderbird blocked it. My phone had no email on there. It was wiped clean. This happens also when I download mail into Thunderbird and I go to my gmail account on the web you can't see the mail on google either if it's already in Thunderbird. Do any of you know why this keeps happening and is there anything simple I can do about it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Shelly