Re: Laptops, who is king of the hill?

Cristóbal

You start looking above $800 and you’re getting into specs that won’t really add to the blind user experience per say. Nicer screen resolution, higher end video cards and processing for gaming, etc.

Nothing wrong with acquiring a high powered machine, but for us, why pay for a premium feature that we can’t really take full advantage of.

Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2015 11:48 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Laptops, who is king of the hill?

Actually, I would go as far as saying that for $600 to $800 you can purchase a reasonably powerful machine if you shop around.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2015 2:40 PM

Well, I agree computer in general is down in prices. Can you spend a lot of money on one yes. But you can buy a very good laptop and desktop for around 1000 bucks or less. I would say you can get a fairly good windows machine to do most of what most people would want to do with one for around 600 to the 800 buck mark.

Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2015 2:09 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io

I don't have any specific recommendations at the moment, but I have to disagree about the prices.  If anything, laptop prices are lower than ever.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:59 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] Laptops, who is king of the hill?

Hi all.  In the new year I'm contemplating getting a laptop.  It has been a few years since I had one and things have moved on a fair bit since then.  However I would like to know which manufacturer is considered to have the best quality products.  A few years ago I saw a lot of posts on lists like this moaning and complaining about HP but have they improved?  are they considered a good bet for quality and reliability now?  There is a lot of differing brands on offer but I'd like to consider your opinions on the various brands and their pros and cons before seeking out a suitable model.  I've just looked at one web site and noticed that laptops are still rather expensive.  I actually want a laptop rather than a tablet because the hard drives are larger and there is an integral keyboard and more than one USB.  I've discounted apple as Apple are too controlling, restrictive and it is a completely new learning curve which I'm not inclined to embark on.  I would much prefer win7 as the OS, definitely not Win8.  The site I looked at has no Win10 which surprises me so I'll need to go with Win7, stick with what I know I guess.

If you have an opinion on the various brands then will you please let me know your thoughts and why you have come to the conclusions you have.  With thanks.  Walter.

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.