From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2021 5:12 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] windows 10 with jaws

I think one reason is that ribbons may not be clear in terms of how they are organized and how to work with them if you just come across them and have no good instruction. That probably happened to a lot of people who had none or had some help from people who didn't understand them properly either.

The word from people who have such experiences spreads from them throughout the blind computer using community.

If there had been some sort of utopian way to send good help in the form
of explanations and demonstrations to all those in the blind Windows
computer using community as soon as ribbons were released, a lot of the
fear surrounding ribbons might have been preempted.

Gene
On 7/30/2021 3:28 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

It's amazing to me that a word, one simple word can cause such angst,
such fear, such unreasoning terror. Ribbons are menus, pure and
simple. They may cause some difficulty for the sighted because they
are horizontal and not vertical, but what is so terrifying about a
menu? You've been working with menus since you started using a
computer. Why aren't you terrified by menus? They're just the same as
ribbons! Ribbons are horizontal menus, that's all. They have more
data in them, but they're only menus, just menus. ""Beware the
Jabberwock, The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”
― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There

<smiling>
Ann P.