Re: windows 10 with jaws

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Interesting, and probably true. Once I realized that I was looking at a menu which combined the old drop-down menus with the toolbars, all the mystery was gone for me. As I said before, the fact that a ribbon menu is horizontal shouldn't affect a blind person's understanding at all because he or she is still working with a feature which is voiced, and it is not germain to talk about how ribbons are horizontal instead of vertical; unless the student is a visual learner.

I think the only way to remove the fear of ribbons is to work with them. Oh, not using Jaws Virtual Ribbons, though these are good, and often useful if you want to do something quick, but working with the ribbons as they appear on the screen. Once you've tabbed through the options on a ribbon, you all of a sudden realize that this is the same group of options you had before. It's just arranged differently. Everything you want to do with your program is still there.

One word about commands, many of your old commands from windows7 still work. Ctrl-s saves. Alt-f4 still closes programs. Ctrl-2 still changes line spacing in Word. Alt-s still sends messages in Outlook. Ctrl-o still opens files.

It's the same tune, different variation.

Ann P.