Re: Question about money reader.

Gene

Also, on what basis are you assuming you use only one hand to operate the money identifier, that is the stand alone device?  You hold the device with one hand and slide the bill into the slot with the other.  I don’t use the unnatural holding of the device with one hand to then press the button.  Since the bill is in a slot and doesn’t require holding, I hold the device with one hand and press the button with a finger on the other hand.  I then hold the device with one hand and pull the bill out of the slot with the other hand. 

I don’t know how fast a smart phone is at recognizing a bill.  The stand alone device isn’t fast, perhaps requiring about a second more or less on average per bill.  Add to that the time required not to just hold a bill next to the device but to actually slide it into a rather tight fitting slot, and it may take two or more seconds per bill.  Also, you often have to pull the bill out of the machine, change which side you put in or whether the top or the bottom is facing the machine, and Then recognize it again.  It may take about four or sometimes five or six seconds to have the bill recognized. 

Then, there is the time orgganizing the money after the bill is identified.  You either slip it into a certain pocket, or fold it a certain way and slip it into a certain pocket or a wallet.  If a clerk gives me four bills
when I purchase something, I either ask  the clerk to tell me which denominations are which or I put the change in a pocket I use only for change and organize it at home. 

I’m also not sure if my money is private if I use a device in a public place. If my change contains a ten and a five, I don’t want people to be able to see the bills denominations as they sit in the machine being recognized.  The machine only hides perhaps one-third or one-half of a bill.  I never go through the slow process of recognizing bills in public.  It’s a bad use of time and it may well not be private. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 7:22 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Question about money reader.

Gerald,

You don't need 2 hands with the EyeNote app.  The app has access to the iPhone camera automatically when you open the app, so you just point the back camera of your iPhone at the bill and move it around a little bit.  It sees the bills denomination and speaks it.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 4:29 AM

I don't understand how a smart phone can be used to identify bills with only two hands.  It seems to me that one hand would be needed to hold the phone, while the other hand navigates the touchscreen to take a picture of the bill for the app to identify it.  But if both hands are engaged operating the phone, then how do you hold the bill?  It does not seem physically possible, unless you place the bill on a flat surface.  This is fine if you are in the privacy of your home, but is not very practical when you are on the go or in a store.  The IBill can be operated with one hand, leaving the other hand free to insert the bill for identification, which would make it  more convenient to use while on the go.

Gerald

On 8/21/2021 9:45 PM, Mike B. wrote:
Holly is talking about the iNote app on the iPhone.  I forget if it comes with the iPhone or if it's free from the App Store.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2021 5:56 PM

What ap is this?
Thanks,
John

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Holly
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2021 8:28 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

John:

Well, I just put the camera on top of the bill and lift it up a bit, until
you hear voice over announce the denomination of the bill.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.