Re: NCH software

Gene

Here is a page that discusses how to only search the folder and no subfolders.  Since I don’t have Windows 10, I’m not sure if you can set this setting in a similar way in Windows 10 and Windows 7.  The method described here appears to be different.  It appears that once you begin a search, items are available such as not to search subfolders.  these instructions may help you set this option.  you may have to do so for each search.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] NCH software

I just figured out how to not have the Windows search search subvfolders in Windows 7. It may be the same in Windows 10 but the way you get to the part of the dialog in the folder you are working with may be different.  This may be a universal command that applies everywhere once you change it.  I’ll let others explain how to do this in Windows 10.  I’ll explain it for Windows 7 if no explanations for Windows 10 are given so that you can see if you can figure out how to do this in Windows 10.

Gene
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 8:24 PM

At least in Windows 7, the search function moved to with control e in Windows 7, searches subfolders as well as the folder you are in so that wouldn’t be satisfactory unless that behavior can be changed.  I see another list member has given you another option, but my question is, do you have the option to delete the original file automatically on conversion when you are converting to another format?  I once wanted to convert a file to the same format, MP3, but use different parameters such as bit rate.  Because it was going to use the same format, it asked about deleting the original file because they both would have the same name. 

Gene
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 1:51 PM

Yes, I checked the box that puts them in the same folder as the source folder.

That’s exactly what I want to do.

There are many many folders split up into artist and then in each artist are the tracks.

I don’t want to put all of the *.flac files in one folder, I want them all to go into the same folder as the *.wav files resign. So keeping the folder the same as the source folder does that, but it doesn’t delete the *.wav files when done.

I want it to delete the *.wav files after it converts them to *.flac. However I don’t believe this program can do that.

So in this case, once I’ve converted all of my *.wav files to *.flac, what would then be the easiest way to delete all of the *.wav files but make sure the *.flac files remain??

Is there some way that doesn’t involve me manually searching for all *.wav files?

I’m actually surprised there is no option to delete the original after conversion as an option, but this software doesn’t have that from what I see.

Which means there’s got to be another way that is more  automatic than I’m thinking.

Thanks,

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 2:34 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

The program runs as a full demo for a time, I don’t recall how long.  After that time, when you run it, a screen will appear asking you to verify that you are using the program as a home user in conformance with the free offer.  If you just press enter, you will have verified it and the program will open fully. 

I don’t know what the paid version does that the free version doesn’t do, but the free version does a lot and is likely to fill your needs.

As far as removing all the wave files, you can have the converted files be in a different folder.  If you have all the wave files you want to convert in one folder, then select them all and delete them, thus resulting in an empty folder. 

I used the program somewhat some time ago but I’ve hardly used it for a time and I’d have to look at the program to tell you in detail how to do things like change where converted files will go.  If you look around and have problems figuring out what you want to do, I’ll check the program if others haven’t answered your questions in a reasonable time.

I recall there is a check box that causes the converted files to be placed in the source folder.  To do what I am suggesting, this needs to be unchecked.  I don’t recall what the default setting is.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 1:19 PM

Great! Thanks!

Now  after I’ve converted them all, what is the easiest way to delete the *.wav files but keep the *.flac files?

I could manually do that but again that would take ages…

Also, do I need to purchase the software to do this? I read the  licensing stuff  and it confuses me.

Is there some way to do the  ID3 tag better?

All of my files are artist  - Title.wav

So right now I can have it set where it puts the file name as the tag when it’s the *.wav file.

But what I really wish it could do is put the artist where I want it and the  title in the proper  fields.

Thanks again,

John\

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Walter Ramage via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 1:57 PM

Hi.  Yes, it can.  When you launch the switch programme press alt and you will have options to add a folder or a file etc.  It will also include subfolders.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: 11 September 2021 18:47
Subject: [TechTalk] NCH software

So starting a new thread .

So  I just tried switch and damn,  two files converting from *.wav to *.flac is fast as well… lol

But one thing which I’d like to do and not sure it can be done?

I’ve got  an entire folder full of sub folders of *.wav files that I want to convert to *.flac.

Can this software do that?

I saw where you could add files with the jaws curser but doing it this way would take ages.

Thanks,

John

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.