From: Gene
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2021 5:57 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Verizon Email Warning

The link appears not to have been forwarded.  I can’t look at it to see where it goes.

I’d like to see where it goes, using the copy link feature of my e-mail program  but this is spam.

A major business would not tell users their accounts will be closed one day beforehand.  The page you go to probably wants you to submit your username and password which would be completely unnecessary to retain your account.  I’m not advocating going to the site to find out.  It may have malicious code.  I think it is unlikely but I don’t recommend going there.

Also, the message says nothing about a change of ownership.  This consideration doesn’t apply.  it says you will lose your account due to upgrades. Right.  What kind of upgrade would require you to verify your account.  I doubt there is any.

The e-mail is the usual panic the user ttype of phishing attack.  And why isn’t this a major story in the media reporting on technical matters.  This would be a major change affecting who knows how many ;perhaps hundreds of thousands or more users.  Yet not one peep in the general media or in technical ;publications for the layman.

Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2021 5:37 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Verizon Email Warning

Verizon email has changed ownership several times, but has been under
AOL control for a few years.  Yesterday, I received the following notice
of possible closure of Verizon email accounts by tomorrow.  The provided
link does take you to the apparent genuine AOL web site.  Does anyone
know anything further about this and what is required to retain one's
account?

Account update.

Dear Verizon User,

Your Mailbox will be Shutting down on the 15th September 2021, due to
upgrades.

Please click the link below to update your account to avoid losing your
mails:
CLICK HERE TO UPDATE NOW
Notice: Ignoring this message would lead to the termination of your
Mailbox without permission.

--
Rich De Steno