Re: personal settings in Windows10

Pamela Dominguez

I get help center.  Pam.

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] personal settings in Windows10

I thought she said alt f, then alt s.  She said just s.  Window-eyes may be causing the wrong item to be read and may not reflect where you are.  Or, and I don’t know if this is possible, it may be causing you to be on the wrong submenu.  Try alt f, then down arrow and see if you get to settings.  If you do, press enter.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 9:43 AM

She did use Alt-F, if you reread her message carefully.  I suspect that the problem may be  with Window Eyes, which has not been updated in years and so may not be compatible with the latest versions of Chrome and Edge, which are automatically updated frequently. 

Gerald

On 9/16/2021 10:31 AM, Gene wrote:
I didn’t say to use alt s.  I said to use alt f as in frank, then type s as in sam.  If that doesn’t work, let us know. 

Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 9:18 AM

I have window eyes.  When I hit alt f, it said “help e pulldown”.  And I didn’t hit alt h.  But when I hit s, nothing happened.  If I arrow down, it says About Chrome”, and “Help center”.  Pam.

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 8:37 AM

Hi Pam,

Okay, this is how I just did it on my Windows 7 computer using Jaws and forms mode is set to manual.
1. Open Chrome.

2. Press, Alt + F, as in Frank to open the menu, then press the letter, S , as in Sam to open settings.

3. Now just down arrow to, Default Browser menu, and press enter.

4. Tab to, Make default button, and press the spacebar.

5. Close Chrome, and Chrome should now be the default browser.

If you're running a different screen reading program or have different Forms mode settings let the list know and we'll try different steps duplicating your settings.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 5:20 AM

I have windows seven, and I want to change from internet explorer to chrome, which is the only other browser I have on here.  Pam.

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 8:06 AM

Hi Pam,

I've just read through several emails of this thread and I'm confused.  What browser do you want to set as the default and what operating system are you running?

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 4:47 AM

I looked through all the menus in Chrome, and I don’t know where to find the make default button.  Pam.

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 7:03 AM

I just checked.  Google and Brave both have a make default button.  Edge appears not to, I haven’t found one and I’ve looked more than once over time. 

However, you should be able to make Edge open with different file extensions.  Find a file on your machine with an htm or html extension for example.  You can then use open with to tell Edge to open files with those extensions when you press enter on them in a list of files or in an e-mail.  In an e-mail, some files with those extensions won’t show as extensions, they may show as the names of articles written out or click here links.  But if you tell Edge to open files with htm and html extensions, you will be able to open most files you come across in Edge. 

I won’t go into how to use Open with in this message.  If you want to know, ask.  Since I don’t know which browser you want to make default, it may be unnecessary. 
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 5:48 AM

Then you don’t even have to use the choose a default program feature.  Which browser do you want to make default?  In Windows 7, you can use the make default setting in the browser itself.  But I’m not sure if Edge has that setting.  I’d have to specifically check other browsers.  Firefox has that option but I’d have to check others.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 5:21 AM

I happen to be using windows seven, and I’m trying to change my default browser.  Pam.

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 7:20 PM

Telling folks what Windows 7 does is not helpful when they aren’t using that OS. For one thing Windows 10 doesn’t call anything a program.

In Windows 10, tap the windows key. Type default. The very first option that comes up is choose a default  web browser.

Hit enter  once that is spoken.

It’ll say Choose default app: Microsoft edge  button (As MS Edge is my default browser in my case.)

Now hit  the space bar  and that will let you change the default browser.

Once you hit  space it’ll say

Choose an App  Choose an app, Microsoft edge button.

Next  tab. In my case I cycle around the browser choices which is Firefox or internet explorer.

If I choose Firefox, MS comes up with a popup which states their browser is new and I should check it out. Tabbing in this popup dialog will give you the choice to switch anyway button , or check it out!  Button.

If I hit space on switch anyway, then my browser is set to Firefox (since that is the one I chose.)

It’ll say Choose Default app:  Firefox now.

So yeah…. again. Its not the same as Windows 7.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of Pamela Dominguez
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 3:21 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I did that, and when I found the link that said “set default programs”, I hit enter, and it seemed like it thought it was setting default programs, and said nothing was there.  I think it had expected me to put something in there.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 11:24 PM

I don’t know the procedure in Windows 10.  But if you open default programs in the start menu search results, then tab around, you are in a part of control panel in Windows 7, you will find a link that says something like set default programs.  Follow it and see what is there.  I found the link but I didn’t go further.  Ask if you have questions or problems.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 10:10 PM

This didn’t work for me.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 9:32 AM

It is not necessary to go through all these steps to get to default apps.  Just type "default" into the Windows 10 search box, select default apps, and tab through the list of browsers until you land on Google Chrome and select it to make it your default browser.

Gerald

On 8/1/2021 9:18 AM, George McCoy wrote:

Press windows + i to enter settings.

tab once to the list of settings.

press right arrow until you find apps and press enter.

Tab once to the list of app settings.

Down arrow once to default apps and press enter.

Tab through the default apps until you find web browser and click the button.

As you tab through, the current default app is listed.

Tab to the browser you want to use as your default and click the button.

Close settings.

Hth,

George

On 8/1/2021 8:03 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:

Morning all,

I want to make Google Chrome my default browser.  I looked through my tech folder and I can't find the instructions.  Somebody here gave excellent instructions some time back, and I thought I saved them, but I didn't.

I want to go to personal settings in Windows10 and make Google Chrome my default browser.  Can anybody help?

Ann P.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.