Re: A serious computer problem

Gene

You can see how you find Thunderbird.  I’m not recommending either thunderbird or Windows Live Mail, when comparing the two.  My experience is that Thunderbird opens messages more slowly than Windows Live Mail.  Your experience may differ.  I have seen different people report different speeds of performance on different machines so I’m not saying you will find it slower than you are used to. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2021 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] A serious computer problem

Kay, When I started using Win10, I tried to use outlook express (the original and some clones).  But then, whenever microsoft came along with a windows update, it wiped out my express and all my settings and mail.  I got to start over a few times.  Now I (and many others) are using ThunderBird.  It works pretty good.

Howard

On 9/20/2021 4:05 PM, Gene wrote:
I don’t have a particular opinion about whether you use Outlook Express or not.  But Windows Live Mail still works very well and, depending on your experience with Outlook Express, you may want to try Windows Live Mail. 

It needs no modification and may actually be more reliable.  Outlook Express was more prone to e-mail folder corruption.  I’m not saying this is a serious problem.  I don’t know how often it happens.  I’m saying that it is more likely to happen, and that I’ve read this is a disadvantage of Outlook Express.  Also, I don’t know what screen-reader you use but it may support Windows Live Mail better.

If you don’t use identities, the only difference that may matter in general use between the programs is that you can’t use first letter navigation in Windows Live Mail to move from folder to folder. 

the newer version of Windows Live Mail has ribbons but you won’t have to use ribbons much, perhaps almost never. 

Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2021 3:54 PM

John,
Yes, I think it does.  I'll refer back to this and check out the things you suggested.  I have outlook on this new machine, but would really rather use Outlook Express.  I know there are two versions currently out there and neither one is the true program but one is still working.  I think I want to try that out.  I also want to put my DecTalk express USB on there as well, because I still prefer Paul to any other voices.  People say I am nuts because Eloquence is great.  Even when I was training, I was so happy to get back to my computer and its voice. 

But again, thanks.  I really do appreciate you reaching out and helping.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

"Where focus goes, energy flows."
Bob Proctor
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2021 2:07 PM

You’re welcome Kay.

So ok think of the windows 10 notifications as something like the iOS notification center.

Think of the Windows store as something  like the app store.

The only difference is that you’ll be using tab , arrow and enter keys to get what you need  done rather than flicking and tapping like on a phone.

Just like Xp, there’s a desktop with all of your apps. Or you can get to them in the  start menu.

Although its easier to just tap the windows key and start typing to search for the app you want. In every case (by default unless you change it), any local results such as apps or app settings will show up first followed next by web results which uses Bing search.

Just like in earlier windows versions you got a taskbar and system trey with all running apps in it.

Windows 10 just calls everything an app now too.

Its got its own built in screen reader which is good enough for probably a lot of people. Not saying you can’t use NVDA or JAWS if you don’t wish too. But Narrator is there and c can be used as a first party option too.

That windows 7 computer can be upgraded to 10.

AT this point I wouldn’t bother g going to 7, since at this point its not supported either.

All of your screen reader commands as well as a lot of windows commands will work the same just like in older versions.

Power toys just came out and keys can be remapped if you have to do so.

There’s also pretty extensive list of keyboard shortcuts that you can find from MS if you do a web search in  addition to your screen reader.

You gotta remember. MS serves over 2  billion people with Windows. That’s a lot of age groups and people  (some of which have been using  Windows since day one.) so while sure they do add things, a lot stays the same too.

Like sure you can dictate in Windows 10 now just like in iOS but you don’t have to if you don’t wanna.

There’s emoji’s like iOS too but again  you only can choose to use them if you wanna.

Hope this helps some!

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of Kay Malmquist
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2021 2:49 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi John,

Thanks for your input.  I know it is just going to take my doing things with it and I'll get it.  I actually agree with you when you said you are surprised that I am having so much trouble with 10.  Yes,I do have an iPhone and don't have trouble interacting with it.  I just need to understand it more and how it is laid out to feel more at home with it.  Thanks for getting back with me on this.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

Bob Proctor

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, September 20, 2021 1:24 PM

So once you hit the windows key and  start typing that’s how you’d search.

From there it will auto announce the results .

Move your up and down arrows to move thru them and press enter on the one you want.

This is exactly like Windows 7 , and if I’m remembering correctly (its been a long time since I used XP), like the new XP start menu.

Many of  the things are the same between XP, 7 and 10.

There are things in 10 that you can choose to use or not use.

I dunno what  programs you use in Xp but most likely they’ll work in 10 too, perhaps with updated versions.

I’m not sure if you know about smartphones and how they work or not, but one thing new to Windows 10 is this idea of notifications that you can interact with. Just like smartphones windows 10 and 11 have a store that you can get software from.

Now just because it has it doesn’t mean you have to use it, just putting it out there.

Considering you’ve done tech  installs and whatnot I’m actually a bit surprised at how lost you are with the OS stuff.

Having said that I’ll help how I can.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kay Malmquist
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2021 2:20 PM
To: TechTalk <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] A serious computer problem

Hi all,

Let me start by saying this is going to be a long one.  You might say that the computer problem is me.  At one time I was a techie and loved a challenge.  I even worked for a business as a trainer and installer of computers and  adaptive technology.  I worked all over the state of Wisconsin with all kinds of people at various levels of computer knowledge.  I enjoyed the work but moved away from there and got away from adaptive technology, but of course, still used tech.  I still have a computer that a friend of mine and myself put together.  This is the machine that I am writing on right now.  It was built in 2004 and still flies.  All parts are industrial grade and you can tell.  This machine has XP on it but can be upgraded with a bit of hardware replacement.   I did have a laptop that has Windows 7 on it but never really liked it.  In fact, I have two machines that have 7 on them.  I never really got the hang of 7, but wasn't apposed to it, just never really got it and didn't have anyone to help me figure it out.  I am not stupid and not a slow learner, but I just don't get it.  Now we come to the problem.  A couple of months ago,I received a Del laptop with Windows 10 on it.  I am so frustrated with it.  I just don't understand 10.  I don't understand the start menu, the layout, how to find things and so much more.  I get that there is a search at the top of the start menu and I can search for things, but do I hit tab, enter or what?  I want to personalize it and get things going but I can't even find my way around the thing.  Every time I try to do anything with it, I run in to road blocks. 

What I really need is someone to help me learn everything.  Someone who would be willing to start out from the beginning or basics and go from there.  If I know something, we can move on.  I would be willing to pay obviously for your time but otherwise I just don't know what to do.  I feel totally frustrated and don't know where to turn.  If anyone has any ideas, or knows of anyone that is good with teaching computers, could you please let me know?  I feel embarrassed coming out here on these lists, but I truly do not know what else to do.  I have to move on and learn this, but it just isn't working this way.  Thanks for any help with this.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

Bob Proctor

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.