Speech Synthesis, Headphones, and Hearing Loss

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I recently learnt that the WHO recommends wearing headphones for no
more than an hour a day. I expect this statistic to mostly account for
sighted people who use headphones to listen to music. I was wondering
if there is any research or literature about using headphones to
listen to screen readers for extended periods of time, the varying
impact of different speech synthesizers on the ear, and any hearing
loss this may induce.

I would appreciate all inputs and insights on this.

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024