Re: a jaws-friendly hard drive tester?

Gene

The program may well have been run not as a command line program but using the Windows interface.  In that case, which check boxes were checked?  We know that the program did do something because the computer was rebooted.  If you run chkdsk on a computer and are checking the drive used by the operating system, the computer must reboot before it runs and the message spoke of rebooting.

Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] a jaws-friendly hard drive tester?

I'm thinking that simply running CHKDSK does not correct any errors.  One must add the appropriate command line options to make the program do anything.

On 10/29/2021 10:26 AM, Gene wrote:
I expect that Check Disk keeps a log of its corrections and findings.  Others may well know where to find the log.

I don’t know what leads you to believe that the hard drive has errors.  If you repeatedly run check Disk and you still have problems possibly attributable to the hard drive, then the drive may not be reliable.  Check Disk corrects the errors it can and if it can, it moves data out of bad sectors to good ones.  Ongoing hard drive errors suggests continuing degredation of the hard drive.

But not knowing what problems you have had in the past, I wouldn’t assume the hard drive is the problem.  Memory problems can cause corruption.  Perhaps other things I am not aware of.