Re: windows 7/often folder list looks blank till I maximize the folder's window

Gene

I meant to write, do you hear restore unavailable.

Sent: Friday, December 03, 2021 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] windows 7/often folder list looks blank till I maximize the folder's window

I don’t know what is causing the problem and I’m not sure you are really maximizing the window when you think you are.  When you use alt enter, then x to maximize a folder, close Windows Explorer, then open any folder again, and issue alt enter again, do you hear restore unavailabgle if you let all speech be spoken or do you just hear restore?  If you just hear restore, that means the folder is already maximized.  If I maximize a folder, close Windows Explorer, and open a folder, it is maximized. Maximizing one folder causes all folders to be displayed as maximized until I restore a folder.

Your daughter’s statement makes sense regarding the behavior I’ve seen,  When trouble shooting in such a case, test by listening to full announcements when opening folders.  Don’t assume what is occurring.  That’s a good idea in any case where you are testing to see if a change is retained.

Also, I don’t know if your e-mail program causes things to remain maximized or not after you maximize one instance of something.  But given what you are reporting, I suspect the problem is not whether the window is maximized and I suspect that turning off and on the virtual pc cursor is not necessary.  In all these cases, simply leaving the main window or the whole window and returning may be causing JAWS to read content.  Test this by trying the following:
When you open an e-mail, if nothing is read, press alt to go into the menu or ribbonss.  Press alt again to leave the menus or ribbon and return to the window where you were.  Can you read content then?  Do the same test after you open a folder.  If this allows you to hear content, you should be able to cause content to be read by opening something and pressing alt twice very quickly.  The procedure should be very fast. You should be able to press alt, then immediately after pressing it again.

If that causes material to be read, then your choice is to do this annoying but quick and easy procedure repeatedly or to try to solve the problem.  I have no idea what the problem is.  You could uninstall and reinstall JAWS to see if that solves it.  If it doesn’t, you may have to reinstall Windows or do some sort of repair.  I don’t know enough about that subject to discuss those options further, but it is my understanding that a repair option is available that often is effective at correcting problems without the work and time of reinstalling Windows.