Re: Seeking Smoother Braille Book Reading Experience

Joe Orozco

Thing is, I don't know that my experience was a whole lot better using
even the Mantis Q40. It's frustrating, because I don't know whether to
blame the translation software in these displays or the way the
material is formatted at the source level. But, I'm also more than
willing to accept it is a me problem. In fact, I would love to learn
it's me so that I can adjust whatever settings need adjusting at my
end. Thanks for commiserating.--Joe

On 12/3/21, Victor <victorelawrence@...> wrote:
This is a good question! No matter what kind of material we are reading, I
think all of us want a Braille reading experience that is the closest to
reading from a sheet of braille paper. I work in radio broadcasting and I
want a smooth braille reading experience as well. I am currently using the
first generation of the Focus 40 braille display. I like it, but my braille
reading experience is somewhat broken as well. I think there are some
braille displays that scroll the braille automatically when you set the
scrolling speed. I think that would be a nice feature to have. It might make
the reading experience someone smoother.

I hope others will comment on this particular question.

Blessings,

Victor
On Dec 3, 2021, at 5:13 PM, Joe Orozco <jsoro824@...> wrote:

If you’re using a Braille display to read books from either Bookshare
or BARD, what kind of display are you using, and what kind of
formatting settings are you using? I’m trying to read an NLS book, Web
Braille, and the text is rather broken regardless of the reading view
I’ve set on the Braille Sense U2. I want to say it’s a HIMS product
issue, but I’m not sure my experience was much better on the Mantis.
By broken, I mean the text does not span the length of the 32-cell
display. Also, the translation leaves extraneous text visible, making
for a dysfunctional reading experience. Any ideas from my fellow
electronic Braille readers?

Joe

--
Joe Orozco: Your Message, My Mission