From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Sunday, December 5, 2021 7:38 PM
To: TechTalk <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] USB Type C Port Help Please

Hi All,

We have an LENOVO 81YK IdeaPad running Windows 10 Pro latest, but when I plug an external drive into the USB type C port nothing happens.  I do mean nothing!  I'm using a type C cable that supports both charging and data transfer, but nothing happens.  Below is what I've found that these USB type C ports are supposed to do.

Description
[1]
USB-C connectors (Thunderbolt 3 compatible) / power connectors
The USB-C connectors on your computer support the latest USB 3.1 standard and are fully compatible with Thunderbolt 3 technology. With a proper USB-C cable connected, you can:
list of 5 items
• Transfer data between your computer and peripheral devices.
• Transfer data between your computer and another computer (Thunderbolt Networking).
• Charge your computer.
• Charge your peripheral devices.
• Connect your computer to external displays for video output.

list end

Well none of the above happens when I plug my SSD external drive into the type C port.  I can access the SSD external drive if i use a USB type A male to USB type C female adaptor, but that's the only way.

Has anyone ran into an issue like this and have a fix for the no connectivity, or am I totally  misunderstanding the way this USB type C port is supposed to work?

All help and input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.