Re: USB Type C Port Help Please

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Good morning Thomas,

Would this same behavior you explained with a smart phone happen with laptop computers as well? 
Thank you very much for your input.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2021 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] USB Type C Port Help Please

Unfortunately, it's not the standard which will auto detect what is connected to the port.
For  example in LG Gram, you need to go into LG control center and toggle charging. when its off, it will do what it will do in reverse.
for asus and surface pro, that does it automatically 

I will connect that drive onto a USB C smartphone and see if the problem still persists.
and ask  the manufacturer  if there's a toggle.
Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 at 11:30, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Perhaps someone else knows.  If you should hear a connection sound regardless of the configuration of the drive, that might answer the question of whether the cable or the USB port is faulty, though not which one is.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2021 8:47 PM

This I wouldn't know since this is my first time using any type of a type C connection device, but I do hear the connection and disconnection sounds when using the USB type A to type C adaptors.

I would think that you would hear something, but when using just the type c cable nothing shows in Disk Management either.  Then again, when using the adaptor the drive shows as normal in ThisPC and Disk Management.

Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2021 6:29 PM

If the drive isn’t configured correctly should you still hear a connection sound even if nothing else happens?

Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2021 8:23 PM

Hi Pablo,

I don't have any other USB type C devices to connect, but I believe you hit on the problem.  I think the external SSD drive may not be configured to connect directly via a USB type C cable.  The drive came with a, USB type A male to USB type C male short little cable that's  a piece of crap.  The connectivity sucked, so I bought the type C to type C male cables as a work around, but I also bought some USB type A male to USB type C female adaptors that work really well for connecting the SSD drive to either of my wife's laptops.

These cables are highly rated and neither of them work on either of her laptops when using the cables by themselves, but when using the type C cables with the adaptors they work really well.  So, your thought of the problem being a SSD configuration setting is a good idea.  I'll contact the person I bought the drives from and talk to him about it and see what his thoughts are.  Thank you very much for your input.

Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2021 5:58 PM

Mike,

Other possibilities should be cleared up, such as for example. That the USB C Cable is not working well, or that the External Hard drive needs to change configurations to be able to connect through a USB C Port, or that the port of your computer is not configured correctly.

Connect other 2 different devices through the same USB C cable you are using.

If this test works, the cable is not the problem. However, you should try to connect other devices to your computer using the same USB port you where using before. If the problems repeats. You already know that there is a problem with your USB C in your computer. If the problem no appears. It means that the external hard drive needs some configurations to connect through the USB C port.

Take care,

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Sunday, December 5, 2021 7:38 PM
To: TechTalk <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] USB Type C Port Help Please

Hi All,

We have an LENOVO 81YK IdeaPad running Windows 10 Pro latest, but when I plug an external drive into the USB type C port nothing happens.  I do mean nothing!  I'm using a type C cable that supports both charging and data transfer, but nothing happens.  Below is what I've found that these USB type C ports are supposed to do.

Description
[1]
USB-C connectors (Thunderbolt 3 compatible) / power connectors
The USB-C connectors on your computer support the latest USB 3.1 standard and are fully compatible with Thunderbolt 3 technology. With a proper USB-C cable connected, you can:
list of 5 items
• Transfer data between your computer and peripheral devices.
• Transfer data between your computer and another computer (Thunderbolt Networking).
• Charge your computer.
• Charge your peripheral devices.
• Connect your computer to external displays for video output.

list end

Well none of the above happens when I plug my SSD external drive into the type C port.  I can access the SSD external drive if i use a USB type A male to USB type C female adaptor, but that's the only way.

Has anyone ran into an issue like this and have a fix for the no connectivity, or am I totally  misunderstanding the way this USB type C port is supposed to work?

All help and input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.