Re: NVDA reading in other programs

heather albright

Oh, I tried this now and it did not prevent NVDA from speaking when I was using k1000 14.5. Is there an add on I need? I am using a desktop with windows 10. Thanks Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows

From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2022 12:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] NVDA reading in other programs

When you don't want NVDA to speak in an application, put it to sleep when you are in that application.  The command is

NVDA shift s. Use the same command to turn sleep off.  Its a toggle.

That is the command when using the desktop keyboard layout.  The laptop keyboard layout command is NVDA shift z.

One reason to turn sleep on rather than just stop speech is that if there are error messages, such as a not responding message, you will hear it.  Sleep is only on when you are in the window for that application.  You can leave it on, go to other applications, do what you want to do, then return to the application and you will be in sleep again.

Hello, this may be a simple answer but, what do I need to check so NVDA will stop talking when I am using say k1000? I was able to make jaws not talk when I am using k1000 but, I looked threw the settings for NVDA and I did not get that option. Did I miss it? I searched threw the preferences and  tools options. Thanks Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows