I don't know if the refreshing problem will be solved by using Windows 10 and a current version of whatever browser or browsers you would be using but it would be worth trying.

It is very common for sighted techs who know nothing about screen-readers to blame them for all sorts of problems.  Since they aren't familiar with them, they illogically assume that they are the cause of all sorts of problems the user may complain of.

Gene

On 4/18/2022 12:12 PM, Keith S wrote:

I've brought up the refreshing thing before and the answer is simple. I'm still working on my xp machine because my windows 10 computer is a slow piece of crap and not even a guy in a computer repair store knows what to do to get to act normally and his advice cost me $99 US which I could not afford. My wife had to miss an appointment with her neurologist because I think her cousin; who did the update from 8.1 which was on it originally to windows 10 might not have connected the computer directly to her router with an ethernet cable and just let the update do it's thing over night and we are nortorious for electrical glitches; internet "spot outages" as frontier the provider refers to them as; and other such things. her cousin did look at it; and with jaws running and then just NVDA running the speed did not well; speed up on the system; so his suggestion that it was the screen reader causing the problem didn't make him look like such a tech guru. And to think this guy sets up office systems and networks for a living.; Soda@...; I've got my windows 10 door stop tucked on the top shelf in my closet away from daylight and am simply using windows xp netbook with an older version of firefox. I don't do any shopping online anymore. If something ahs to be purchased; it's either purchased in person at a store; or my wife does it on her phone.; Just letting you know why I am flipping out about not being able to keep up with tech. right now I'm trying to figure out if this USB keyboard I got at walmart will work with a cable available at amazon.com to be allow me to use my hand me down samsung smart phone due to me not being able to do anything with the touch pad due to my neuropathy in my hands. the cable is below if anyone feels like taking a look at it and giving their opinion:; usb otg cable; https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Adapter-Samsung-MacBook-Microsoft/dp/B072V9CNTK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=ZHW8FN5E8L8A&keywords=usb+otg&qid=1650030208&sprefix=usb+otg%2Caps%2C340&sr=8-5; Regards; Keith

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2022 7:28 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] bookmarks on firefox, can I organize them or delete them?

I'm not sure why you are having the add-ons annoyance and the refreshing problem.  But its better to ask about problems than just be annoyed about them with no possible solutions.  I'm not sure what is causing the problems nor how to stop them.  I may have suggestions as the discussion progresses.

As to organizing book marks, I would suggest doing the following instead of this time consuming and unending work with book marks.  I never organize book marks because I have no reason to do so.

Don't neglect history.  I usually use history rather than book marks.  I create book marks so I will have sites in a permanent form which I can export and won't lose if I get a different machine and use Firefox on it.

But I find it much more efficient to use history to get to sites and the address bar autocomplete.  I don't have a rule,  Use whichever you want and whichever works best for this or that site.
Open history with control h.
You are in a search field.
Type some or all of what you are searching for.
If, for example, you want to go to The New York Times home page, type times in the search field.  If there are a lot of different history entries with Times in them and the search results show too many entries without the home page being near or at the top, type something like rk times which will very much limit the search.

You can experiment and see if history entries change their position, depending on how much you use them.  I have a lot of history entries for articles from The New York Times but the home page is the first entry in the history list.  I can type something like times or rk times in the search field, tab twice to the list, and see what is the first one and those below it;.  Press enter on the one you want and the page opens.
You can leave history opened or close it with control h after the page loads.  If you leave it opened, use control h twice to close and o[pen history again, ready to be used for your next search.

I also use the address bar.  Go  to it with control l.
If I type just the letter n for new york, the address of the New York Times appears in the home page.  I wait to hear what my screen-reader announces is there.  I press enter if it is.  If I don't hear an automatic announcement after I type the first letter, I use the read current line command.  If what I want is there, I press enter.

If I type too much, the autocomplete entry disappears and only what I type is there but that is another quick way to open some sites.  Try the first letter or the first two or three letters of things

Try typing the first two or three letters if the first letter doesn't do what you want.  For example, try new if you want the autocomplete to show Newsweek.

Of course, autocomplete will only find sites you have gone to before and I'm not sure how it decides what to show.  Perhaps its based on the most used site that beginns with the letter or letters you type.  Whatever the case, I go to The New York Times site a lot and I would rather type n, wait for the echo and press enter than use book marks or history for that site.

If you wish, I can tell you how to use the search book marks feature to find one but I'd have to go over it again befcause I never use it.

Gene
On 4/18/2022 1:38 AM, Keith S wrote:
Hi All,

Back when I used xp and IE 6, I was able to dig around in the root drive and into the windows folder and make a short cut that would allow me to go directly into the favorites folder and make new folders to organize my favorites so I did not have 200 favorites to lug through if I were looking for a specific site I had saved, or delete a favorite that eitehr was no longer in use or that had changed and no longer directed me to the correct site.

Is there any way to organize  firefox bookmarks or straight out delete them?  I currently have a list of 150 bookmarks that are a mess, not in alphabetical order and to my mind, is just sloppy.

I loved useing IE 6, but with it no longer being supported, the lack of security updates, and with windows no longer supporting xp, I have been using firefox, and besides the flipping off the page I am currently working on to give me a chance to add add-ons, which I promptly hit the control F4 key combo to delete that tag, and the constant refreshing of the page on high volume or high link pages such as amazon.com or walmart.com when I try to arrow down the page using the arrow keys, it's a learning experience, a learning curve and  probably a reason why my doctor has prescribed some medications  that slow down my anxious mind and also lesson my anger at being a 48 year old guy who used to build computers by scratch before going blind and now I am about 30 years behind my 75 year old mother who can use a touch screen smart phone, a win 10 computer and firefox with no complaints at all.

Any suggestions on the subject line question will be, of course, greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Keith