Re: Mantis Q40 versus BrailleSense 6

Gene

I would use the desktop layout unless it was impractical for some reason.  If I were traveling with a laptop, I'd use some sort of bag or carrier in which I could keep a standard keyboard.  You can get ones that are mechanical and that aren't very large.  I would set closing the lid to do nothing and use the keyboard placed on top of the laptop.

I think it is considerably more pleasant to use desktop layouts than laptop layouts, based on what I know of the JAWS and NVDA laptop layouts.  I also don't want to learn two layouts unless it is necessary.

Gene

On 4/20/2022 5:10 AM, Marda wrote:

I'm just the opposite.  I've almost always had desktops and the enhanced keyboard so that is what I'm used to so if I have to switch to laptop layout it will be hard for me.  But if I end up using something that requires me to switch I'll adapt.  I just prefer the layout I'm used to like I guess a lot of people do.

Marda

On 4/19/2022 11:34 PM, Victor wrote:
Personally, I've always preferred the laptop layout because I've been using laptops for years.  When I've used NVDA on a desktop computer, I've always used the laptop layout because I was so used to that.

I need a new Braille display.  I used the First Generation Focus 40 Blue Braille display until the battery gave out recently.  I will most likely get a Mantis 40 Q because I've read that the Braille dots are quiet and are pleasant to the touch.

Victor

On Apr 19, 2022, at 3:24 PM, Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...> wrote:

I considered getting a Mantis because I would have liked to have a Braille display and a qwerty keyboard all in one device. But if I were to use this device with my PC, I would have had to use a laptop layout instead of the desktop layout, which I use now. So, I decided to purchase a Brailliant BI 20, which is cheaper and smaller. Since it doesn't take up as much room on my desk as my BrailleNote Touch Plus, which I was using, I can use the BI for reading while proofreading and editing and the qwerty keyboard for typing.

I then traded in my BrailleNote Touch Plus for a BrailleSense Six but haven't tried it with my PC, preferring the BI's smaller size. So, I don't know how well it works with the PC. It works well with my iPhone, especially when I use the terminal clipboard.

If you don't mind the laptop layout and can afford the Mantis, go for it. If it had a standard desktop keyboard, I would have splurged.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...