Re: recycling hard-drives

heather albright

Ah, I like the solution of braking the connectors on the drives. Thanks, I am taking them to the recycling plant later this week. I have 4 drives that used to be in my desktop. Cant believe how heavy they used to be. Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 6:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] recycling hard-drives

You are right, it was not defined, and I simply gave a solution to one scenario!

The terms, "reuse, or re-purpose" weren't used, and the term "recycle" was used implying that the hard drives were going to some sort of recycling center. 

And as usual, you are turning a simple discussion into more than it needs to be!

I     will not debate this, you are a pain in the ass!

Rick

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 6:51 PM

The problem is that recycling isn't defined.  Does it mean, as asked in the original question, giving the drive to others to use or does it mean recycling, as in having it recycled, reduced to materials and components to be used in other ways? 

Your answer addresses some things yew can do if you want to have the drive not used by others.  We don't know if that is what is wanted.

Gene

On 5/10/2022 5:37 PM, Richard Justice wrote:

Hi Heather,

The simplest way would be to either drill several holes in the drive where the disc is located, or just break off the connectors on the back of the drive.

Doubtful that anyone would dry to disassemble the drive to get at the data.

HTH,

Rick

Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 11:15 AM

Yes I erased the drives but, I was just told that they have programs that can retreave the data even if you erased everything on the drive.  IS there a sure way to erase data that noone can retreave it again. Besdies the hammer? I want to bring them to the recycling plant this week. Thanks Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Monday, May 9, 2022 11:31 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Do a low level format. There are programs that should do that.

Sent: Monday, May 9, 2022 9:24 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] recycling hard-drives

Hay, I have some old hardd-drives and I want to recycle them. I erased the info but, someone told me that they have programs that can still steal your data off drives. How do I make sure this will not happen with my old drives when I recycle them? Thanks Heather

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.