Re: NVDA question for a friend

Troy Burnham

Quentin,

Thanks for your help. I think he's mostly trained with jaws.

He just told me that he's doing an NVDA presentation tomorrow at noon central time, so he obviously doesn't have a lot of time to study. I guess he figured everything else out except for the top and bottom of page thing but I will tell him to make sure he's not in a forms field before trying ctrl-home or end and see if that's his problem.

Troy

Mostly just chiming in to reiterate that control+home and control+end should generally work.  The main time I can think where they might not, is if the focus is on a form, eg on an edit box, and NVDA is in focus mode - then those commands will move to the start and end of that field (as is normally desirable in an edit field).

You mentioned your friend had been a trainer, is that with NVDA or with other screen readers?  While I think this particular situation works very similar in other screen readers, I was just going to mention that if he is familiar with Jaws, we do have a switching from Jaws to NVDA guide: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA and also a switching from Window-eyes to NVDA guide: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/Switching-from-Window-Eyes-to-NVDA

We also have training material for NVDA which will teach you from scratch, which is the "Basic Training for NVDA" module.  Despite the name, it actually goes from initially starting NVDA and using common commands, up to more advanced concepts like object navigation and the review cursor and using configuration profiles.  You can find that module, and our modules on the various Microsoft Office programs here: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 10:11 AM Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:
To go to the top or bottom of a web page, is the same as any page.
Control plus home for top of page and
Control plus end for bottom of page.