From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, June 4, 2022 6:39 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Google has disabled one of my email accounts

It is something you set up  in your Google account.  You can set it up using any way you want to access your account.  It isn't on your laptop, it is an account feature.

Once you set it up, it means that the first time you log in with a new device, you will be sent a text message or receive a phone call with the numbers you need to enter in an edit field during login.  The numbers will be announced in the phone call or shown in the text message.  I don't know how many sites give you the option to choose between a phone call or a text message.  Google does.

Once you sign into Google for the first time using a device, in future if you sign out and sign in again using that device, Google knows it and won't ask for two-factor verification when signing in using that device.  I don't know what other sites do.

During login, you enter the numbers, along with your username and password.  Its a good idea to use two-factor authentication, but I don't think it is mandatory unless you are using an application specific password.  You said you are using Outlook 365.  That version of Outlook is new enough that you don't need an application specific password.

Gene

On 6/4/2022 1:33 AM, James Bentley wrote:

Let’s assume that I set up two factor authorization on my current Win10 laptop using Gmail and the Outlook that comes with MS365.

Now, let’s assume that I purchase a new laptop.  Will I have to go through the same steps to use Gmail with MS 365 on the new machine?

Gene, and others, I also want to thank you for all of your time and efforts in dealing with this situation which is complicated for some of us.

James B