Re: Google has disabled one of my email accounts

James Bentley

Well, I guess two factor authorization isn’t no big deal.

Thanks Thomas and Gene.

James B 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, June 4, 2022 6:39 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Google has disabled one of my email accounts

It is something you set up  in your Google account.  You can set it up using any way you want to access your account.  It isn't on your laptop, it is an account feature.

Once you set it up, it means that the first time you log in with a new device, you will be sent a text message or receive a phone call with the numbers you need to enter in an edit field during login.  The numbers will be announced in the phone call or shown in the text message.  I don't know how many sites give you the option to choose between a phone call or a text message.  Google does.

Once you sign into Google for the first time using a device, in future if you sign out and sign in again using that device, Google knows it and won't ask for two-factor verification when signing in using that device.  I don't know what other sites do.

During login, you enter the numbers, along with your username and password.  Its a good idea to use two-factor authentication, but I don't think it is mandatory unless you are using an application specific password.  You said you are using Outlook 365.  That version of Outlook is new enough that you don't need an application specific password. 

Gene

On 6/4/2022 1:33 AM, James Bentley wrote:

Let’s assume that I set up two factor authorization on my current Win10 laptop using Gmail and the Outlook that comes with MS365.

Now, let’s assume that I purchase a new laptop.  Will I have to go through the same steps to use Gmail with MS 365 on the new machine?

Gene, and others, I also want to thank you for all of your time and efforts in dealing with this situation which is complicated for some of us.

James B 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2022 5:48 PM

That's good.  Your message may encourage others to try.  Or if people don't want to do so themselves, my instructions may allow someone you ask to help to set things up.

Gene

On 6/3/2022 5:38 PM, Andy wrote:

I want to thank Gene and others for their helpful instructions regarding the Google Email security situation.

I was able to establish two step authentication and to set up an app specific password for my Gmail and Outlook Express, and am again able to send and receive messages with my Gmail account.

Andy

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2022 4:13 PM

Here is steps on how to create a app password to use in OE or other less secure email clients:

Sign in using app passwords

An app password is a 16-digit passcode that gives a non-Google app or device permission to access your Google Account. App passwords can only be used with accounts that have 2-Step Verification turned on.

When to use app passwords

To help keep your account secure, use 'Sign in with Google' to connect apps to your Google Account. If the app that you’re using doesn’t offer this option, you can either:

• Use app passwords to connect to your Google Account
  • Switch to a more secure app

Create and use app passwords

Note: If you use 2-Step-Verification and are seeing a 'password incorrect' error when trying to access your Google Account, an app password may solve the problem.

1. Go to your Google Account.
  2. On the left navigation panel, choose Security.
  3. On the 'Signing in to Google' panel, choose App passwords. If you don’t see this option:
    • 2-Step Verification is not set up for your account
    • 2-Step Verification is set up for security keys only
    • Your account is through work, school or other organisation
    • You’ve turned on Advanced Protection for your account
  1. At the bottom, choose Select app and choose the app that you’re using.
  2. Choose Select device and choose the device that you're using.
  3. Choose Generate.
  4. Follow the instructions to enter the app password. The app password is the 16-character code in the yellow bar on your device.
  5. Choose Done.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2022 4:07 PM

I hate to sound stupid, but I don’t understand what I need to do to get this Gmail account to work in or rather with XP. You talk about passwords and apps specific and this and that and I’m not sure what steps I need to take to get that started and even get it going once I get into my account, which by the way if I can’t get into it I can find somebody that can and if a code is needed or something like that I can still retrie retrieve that with my iPhone. But what do I need to do to get it to work on my XP machine? 

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

On Jun 2, 2022, at 3:04 PM, Kay Malmquist via groups.io <kay.malmquist@...> wrote:

You go to the bottom of your screen and you find more options and you click on that and the first option you get is reply. Hope that helps.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

On Jun 2, 2022, at 3:01 PM, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...> wrote:

Well, just wait until those newer ones get old, probably bigtime problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2022 1:36 PM

This was perhaps two months ago or longer that those using the less secure access setting were notified by Google by e-mail and it isn't a new verification scheme.  All Google did is to turn off less secure access on any account that uses it.  Newer programs or versions of programs don't need to use less secure access and if you weren't using it, you will not have to do anything.  Access will continue as before.

If you are currently using less secure access, you have to use an application specific password for programs or devices that are too old and that you have been using the less secure access setting in your google account with previously.

The change was made to increase security.  Now, if you use an application specific password, you  can sign into the specific thing it is fore, your Gmail for example.  If someone gets your application specific password who isn't supposed to have it, they can sign into your GMail with an e-mail program and have access to your mail, but they can't use the user specific password to do anything else.  

They can't sign into your account using the application specific password online and the only thing the application specific password can be used for is to sign in to your GMail.  

Gene

On 6/2/2022 11:38 AM, Andy wrote:

Google announced a few weeks ago that they would be introducing a new verivication scheme that would have the result of rendering most 3rd party applications that sign into google basically useless.
   This is why your newer version of Outlook works because it can interface with that new verification scheme.
   Of course, they say that they are doing it for security reasons.

Andy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@...> <mailto:4carolyna@...>  
   To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  
   Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2022 9:31 AM

Yep, happened this morning - boo'oo'oo!

-----Original Message-----
   From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  
   [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Loy
   Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2022 11:43 AM
   To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  
   Subject: [TechTalk] Google has disabled one of my email
   accounts

I have two gmail accounts that I have been accessing with a
   less secure app on one of my computers. Earlier I created an
   app password for one account but not for the other one. Now
   I can't access  that one with the less secure app. But I can
   on the  other computer that has Outlook. I tried to go into
   setting security for that account to create n app password
   but it seems that is no longer available. Is anyone  else
   experiencing this?

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.