Re: Installing thunderbird question

Gene

That's good.  I don't think following my instructions will cause problems but since you have one good working copy now, you might want to place a new copy on the machine and place the profile from the old machine in that one.  If it works properly fine, you can use that one.  If it doesn't, you can use the one that works well now and transfer the address book in a different way.  That's one of the advantages of using the portable version.  You can try things using a completely different copy of the program if you don't want to take a chance of causing problems with a copy that works well.

You don't need to set up an account in a new copy.  Just transfer the profile.  The profile contains the account information.

Gene

On 7/31/2022 12:26 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:

I have restored the subject to its original.

The third time seems to be the charm, as they say.  After setting it up this time, it seems to be working perfect now.

Sure do appreciate all your help.

Howard

You can follow the steps I gave in my previous message.  I don't know what is causing the problem so I don't know if those steps will help.  I'm not saying this is the case but these kinds of problems and what appears to be their irrational occurrence makes me wonder if there is some sort of problem in the system somewhere that is causing Thunderbird not to work correctly.

I know almost nothing about this but I seem to recall that there are times when a program doesn't work properly on a specific machine.  Others may have comments on that.

Perhaps you could correct the problem by doing something drastic such as placing a clean copy of Windows on the computer and reinstalling everything, but its hardly worth the time and trouble.

If you can't get it to work, you can always try installing Thunderbird and setting up an account.  I suspect you will have the same problem but you might want to try.

If you continue to have problems, and whether you want to try working with the installed version or not, you could try using Windows Live Mail.

I prefer Thunderbird but Windows Live Mail works well on most people's machines and it won't take much explanation to tell you how to use it, as I recall the program.  It isn't that much different to use than Thunderbird in terms of working with settings and sending, receiving mail, etc. is similar.

But if you use Windows Live Mail, it is an older program and you will need to get an application specific password.  I have instructions I can send if you want to.  There are alternatives such as Outlook which I don't use and which, of course, you need to purchase.  Other people may have other suggestions for programs.

Gene

On 7/31/2022 11:52 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Yes, this is the second time I've set it up and it now sends out messages just fine and quickly. But when it tries to download new messages it times out.  It did get about 20 messages at first; and now it just stalls.  I don't even know what to look at.

<HT>

On 7/31/2022 11:38 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't know what is causing the problem.  Do you mean it times out after you removed the first copy and had the second copy create the account again?

Gene

On 7/31/2022 11:35 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Well Gene, Now it sends mail very well, I think.  But:
When I first set it up, I got about 20 or so new mails; and now it times out after about a half a minute.  No error messages, just a time out; and no new ones.

What do you think?

<HT>

--
It's so convenient when you folks sign your messages with your name (or even an alias).  Then I don't have to close the message and look through the headings to find the originator.