Re: talking braille watch from Independent living

Howard Traxler

It's been my experience that the folks who sell these adapted watches don't tell you who is the manufacturer or where you can have it maintained or repaired.  I currently have two tactle watches that work just fine and keep almost perfect time.  However,  with lots of use, the lid hinges get loose and the friction-type closure will no longer keep the watch closed.  If I had a dollar for each time someone warned me, "your watch is open", I'd buy a new watch.  But I'd sure like to have these two fixed or adjusted; just don't know where.

I also have a talking watch with analog dial (that is not tactile, no opening lid) and the hands of time are never in step with the speech; but I don't have to care.

Howard

On 8/5/2022 8:05 AM, Gene wrote:
What you appear to be saying is that any Braille watch you open would allow dirt to get in.  Why are you singling out combination watches?  If opening it means the watchis likely not to work for long, then that should be true of any watch, combination or not.  If someone's hands, their hands not the watch hands, are clean, they should be able to open a Braille watch and have the watch work  well for years.  I have seen many statements from Braille watch users that they have had good quality watches that they have used for years and they don't complain about almost constant maintenance.

So the question is, is this watch poorly made or is this watch defective?

While I don't understand why someone would want a combination watch, a properly made one should function without a lot of maintenance.

Gene

On 8/5/2022 5:14 AM, Gerald Levy via groups.io wrote:

The problem with combination watches is that when you open the crystal to feel the position of the hands, you are exposing it to dirt and debris which can get inside and damage the delicate mechanism and electronic components.  I really don't understand the appeal of a combination watch.  If you want a Braille watch , then buy a an analog watch with Braille markings or another tactile watch like the Bradley timepiece.  If you want a talking watch, then buy a fully digital watch that is completely sealed and thus more impervious to dirt and debris. I suspect that your replacement watch will work fine initially, but if you frequently open the crystal to feel the position of the hands, the same thing may happen again a few months from now.  If you want to maximize the watch's  longevity, just use the talk feature and do not open the crystal once the hands are set to the correct time.

Gerald

On 8/4/2022 9:02 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

I've had the combination talking and braille watch from Independent living aids since March this year, and I'm returning it for a replacement because I checked the time the other day and when I pressed the button all the watch said was "the time is" but no time was given. Also a month or 2 ago we noticed that the braille part of the watch wasn't keeping time anymore, so I had the battery changed yesterday and the voice still didn't give me the time when I pressed the button. I was wondering then if anyone on this list has a similar watch from I L S and if so if any of this has happened to you. As I said I'm receiving a replacement probably early next week, but I'm just wondering if there are known problems with this watch or if I just happened to get a bad one.

Thanks.

Troy

--
It's so convenient when you folks sign your messages with your name (or even an alias).  Then I don't have to close the message and look through the headings to find the originator.