Re: phone scams

Carolyn Arnold

Thanks, VOIP.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2022 2:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] phone scams

Its VOIP with a p, not a T. It stands for voice over Internet protocol and it is how phone companies are sending phone calls to customers in replacement of the old copper network.

Gene

On 9/7/2022 12:52 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
What does VOIT stand for?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Victor
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2022 1:33 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Unless it's for business purposes, I think most people are using cell phones and VOIP services now because they don't want to pay for a landline in addition to a cell phone plan and a VOIP plan. In any case, many VOIP services have a free option as long as you call others with a VOIP service.

Google Voice is very accessible and you can make phone calls from their website. I've never answered calls on their website, but it's easy to make calls that way.

Victor

On Sep 6, 2022, at 10:22 PM, Marda <marda.pianist@...> wrote:

Well if you get a certain number calling a lot I think you can block it even on some landlines but I'm not sure as ZI've never tried. I know if I block one number they'll just switch to another so I just leave them alone and don't answer them.

Marda

On 9/6/2022 11:26 PM, Andy wrote:

That might work for a mobile phone, but not for a landline or VOIP home service.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
To: main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2022 8:26 PM

I would recommend downloading A spam blocking app such as Truecaller or call protect. This will allow your phone to filter out most of the spam incoming calls. These apps have frequent updates to their database that will automatically occur so it will keep your phone safe.
Hope this helps,

Ashley Breger

On Sep 6, 2022, at 9:54 PM, Marda <marda.pianist@... <mailto:marda.pianist@...> > wrote:

They have been doing that in my area for quite awhile.� They think people will be more likely to answer a number if it's a local one like with the same area code.� I never answer an unrecognized number.� I do check voicemail when I get a call so if they leave a message and I get it and decide to call back but I won't answer the initial call because that lets the scammer know the number is legitimate and working and they won't delete it from their list and will keep calling.� I've got this one that has an unintelligible item on the caller id and they may do it for many months or even years but they never leave a message.� If it was important enough the person would leave one.� It's a shame we have to do that but it's like email.� Unless I recognize the address or at least when I check I find out it's legitimate (like by going to the company's actual website) I don't open email and I never open attachments unless it's something I'm expecting.� I also never open links unless I know the address or link is legitimate because I know someone who got malware by clicking on a link in an email that he thought was from someone we knew but it put malware on his computer and he had to do a whole new install of windows and jaws and all his software.� He had a lot of stuff and it took him a couple of days.� I don't know enough about the mechanics of everything to do what procedures he used but it was very involved and this was someone who is a programmer and knows what he's doing but he has a medical condition that supposedly this person sent him an article on and he let his guard down and didn't check out the email address or web link because he recognized the person's name.� It really makes me angry seeing how they do it and it's not just senior citizens though there's a lot of publicity about how they are targeted but it happens a lot with younger people too.

MardaI know people who have gotten malware because they

On 9/6/2022 6:09 PM, Monte Single wrote:

In the last month or so, I have noticed a new approach by phone scammers.

My phone announces the number of an incoming call, I guess that�s called call display, ha ha.

These number are local numbers, so I think they are coming from someone in my home area.� But they are scams.

�

Beware amigos!

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.