Re: phone scams

Carolyn Arnold

I got one one time that said my Social Security was compromised and had ceased. I said with a drawal, "okay." Then I hung up.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles Adkins
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2022 12:48 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] phone scams

I got an automated call from a company calling themselves AEP account management, telling me my power was going to be disconnected in 45 minutes because of non payment. If I disagreeed with this finding I was told to press 1. So, just because, I pressed 1 and was put in touch with a gentlemen who told me my account was 2 payments behind. He wanted my account number. I told him well if you know my account is two payments behind you already have my account number right? After a long pause I asked him if he really was from American Electric Power, he actually said yes. I could hear other phoneers in the backround. I hung up and called American Electric Power and reported the call in great detail. I never take calls that I don't recognize but this call actually said American Electric Power.

On Sep 10, 2022, at 12:33 PM, Sharon S <koala@...> wrote:

Hi, the best one I have heard was the guy pretending to be a cop at a murder scene and asking the caller all sorts of questions about how he knows the person and other things like that. I love listening to those sorts of things to see how far you can push them.

My uncle used to have his computer set up so there was a partition where he could give someone access to his computer, but they couldn’t do anything to damage it. He used to have fun with the callers who say there is something wrong with the computer. He would pretend he knew nothing about things on his computer and could drag it out quite a bit. He figured the longer he had them on the line the less time they have to scam other people. My uncle was really good on computers and did some programming work in the past, so he knew exactly what was happening.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute.