From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2022 1:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Why Can Some Blind People Process Speech Far Faster Than Sighted Persons.

I haven't checked the other samples, but on seeing your message, I checked the third one. I can understand a lot of it when wearing headphones and perhaps less when close to the small speaker in my laptop.

It isn't particularly easy to understand and the strain, I think might be fatiguing and I suspect would lower my comprehension. It may be that those who lose their sight during the age window the article discusses would understand speech more easily at that speed but since I can understand a lot of it, it raises the question about the accuracy of the article's information, which comes from the study in question.

While I might not have been able to understand it much or hardly at all if I hadn't listened to speech at about 350 words per minute for years, my experience raises the question of how much people can understand fast speech if they accustom themselves to do so, the age window in question or not.

The magazine article doesn't, among other defects, discuss whether those outside of the window who were tested routinely listen to rapid speech or not. We don't know how those who fall outside of the window would do depending on if and how regularly they have listened to rapid speech and for how long.

Gene

On 9/21/2022 10:58 AM, Donna wrote:
I can understand the 3rd voice speech rate. It is political. Something about killings in Afghanistan in 2007 by Blackwater guards who killed 17 people & who were facing charges.

Donna

I can't believe anyone could understand that.