From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, October 1, 2022 3:56 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] A frustrating problem using Free Directory Assistance

Have you tried using services online?  Others may have phone suggestions but perhaps you need to use an online site to look up people and businesses.  If you have problems using such sites, we can show you how to use them well.

Gene

On 10/1/2022 3:03 PM, James Bentley wrote:

Hi all,

Here’s hoping that this is not too far off topic.  And, so far, Gene hasn’t killed any one yet.  Uhh.  As far as I know.

For years now, I have not been able to use Free Directory Assistance for phone numbers in my home town of Nacogdoches, Texas.  If you are wondering how to pronounce Nacogdoches, most screen readers get it right when it is spelled like this: Nacogdoechus.

I am calling 800.373.3411 which works reasonablely well with a well known city like Dallas or Houston.  But, for years now, it doesn’t recognize my home town.  This is quite a bummer since I need to be able to find numbers here in Nacogdoches.

I have tried spelling Nacogdoches.  I have tried using just the zip code.  No joy.

Any one have any ideas?

Damn, I miss the good old days when you got a really polite lady who was happy to do a little digging around foryou.

James B