Re: A frustrating problem using Free Directory Assistance

James Bentley

Yep.  I looked myself up.  There’s just too damn many of us.  Someone has got to go.

Marda, Thanks again for what I should have figured out for myself.

James Bentley.  And, guess which one of us I am?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marda
Sent: Saturday, October 1, 2022 5:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] A frustrating problem using Free Directory Assistance

Well if they have common names you might run into the problem of getting more than one number listed and you might need to know their addresses or something but this is the same way directory assistance used to be when they'd have more than one listing for John Smith or something and they'd give you several numbers and you'd have to pick the right one based on address or other information.

Marda

On 10/1/2022 4:52 PM, James Bentley wrote:

Well.  That worked right off the bat for finding a local ministry.  Wonder why Ididn’t think to try it.  Now, I am going to try Google withlocal individuals phone numbers.

Thanks,

James B 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marda
Sent: Saturday, October 1, 2022 4:24 PM

Well there are sites like whitepages.com and yellowpages.com but if I am looking for a business number I just type the business name into my preferred search engine which for me at the moment is duck duck go.  others use google or bing or yahoo or if on an iPhone any of those or the iPhone one that's built into safari.  For personal numbers you can do it through whitepages.ocom or similar sites but i have not done that.  You can also try putting the person's name and any contact info you know like their address into the whitepages.com site or whatever search engine you're using.

Marda

On 10/1/2022 4:16 PM, James Bentley wrote:

Any one showing me any way to look up local phone numbers will be most welcome.

Thanks,

James B 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, October 1, 2022 3:56 PM

Have you tried using services online?  Others may have phone suggestions but perhaps you need to use an online site to look up people and businesses.  If you have problems using such sites, we can show you how to use them well.

Gene

On 10/1/2022 3:03 PM, James Bentley wrote:

Hi all,

Here’s hoping that this is not too far off topic.  And, so far, Gene hasn’t killed any one yet.  Uhh.  As far as I know.

For years now, I have not been able to use Free Directory Assistance for phone numbers in my home town of Nacogdoches, Texas.  If you are wondering how to pronounce Nacogdoches, most screen readers get it right when it is spelled like this: Nacogdoechus.

I am calling 800.373.3411 which works reasonablely well with a well known city like Dallas or Houston.  But, for years now, it doesn’t recognize my home town.  This is quite a bummer since I need to be able to find numbers here in Nacogdoches.

I have tried spelling Nacogdoches.  I have tried using just the zip code.  No joy.

Any one have any ideas?

Damn, I miss the good old days when you got a really polite lady who was happy to do a little digging around foryou.

James B 

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.