Re: Newby question about best portable NLS player...

Walt Smith

There's one major problem with the NLS-provided player and that's its size
-- not exactly what I'd consider truly portable, although you *can* carry it
from room to room. Also, it has this weird characteristic in which you can
absolutely kill the battery if you once permit the unit to completely
discharge -- been there, got the T-shirt.

For true portability; meaning the ability to slip a device with a couple of
dozen (or couple of hundred) books into my pocket and go wherever I want; I
don't believe you can beat the Victor Reader Stream. Unlike the NLS player,
the American taxpayer isn't paying for it, but in a single unit, you get the
ability to play a wide range of file formats from NLS to Audible books to
plain text to MP3 and a bunch of others, but you also get the ability to
download books directly from NLS: the "free" NLS player doesn't provide this
function and never will. You'll pay between $330 and $370 for the Stream,
depending on when and where you purchase it, but it's a great piece of
reading and WiFi access technology. For information, check out:

http://www.humanware.com