Re: Western Digital my book USB drive

Walt Smith

Troy -

What I always do with this kind of thing is ZIP up the stuff that's on the drive and store it away in a single file or folder and hang on to the installation CD. This way, if you ever want to sell the drive in the future, everything's there and can be restored. Basically, the drive will work fine if it can't see any of that software so long as you don't intend to use the WD backup programs.

From: Troy Burnham [mailto:troyburnham34@...]
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:39 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Western Digital my book USB drive

Hi All,

I just received a wd my book USB drive and when I plugged it up and accessed it there were a few things on it such as extras, locale, user manuals, wd aps for mac, wd aps for windows, and wd aps setup.exe on it already, and it looks like all but the setup files are folders.  It's a 4 tb drive and these folders don't take up much space, but do they need to be on the drive for it to work correctly?

Also, as I said above when I plugged it into the computer it started working right away but there was an installation disk in the box for some sort of setup software.  If I'm not going to be doing any automatic backups do I need to keep that?

Thanks.

Troy