Re: Should I upgrade to windows 10?

Quentin Christensen

In Professional, you can set it to use the "Current branch for business", which basically means you still get security updates, but feature updates are delayed until a few months after home users have them.

Theoretically, between the fact that the Windows Insider (Beta) program is continuing, and that updates will be pushed to home users first, that will hopefully mean that screen reader manufacturers will have accommodated for any changes by the time they get to the current branch for business users, and feature updates will generally be small and incremental, so it wouldn't be like jumping from Windows 7 to 8 overnight.

Regards

Quentin.

On 4/09/2015 2:18 AM, Jeremy wrote:
Mostly, weather you wait or not, just be aware of the biggest issues that us using screenreaders may have in 10. Gene and others have pointed it out, several times that some of the versions do not allow you to turn off having updates download and install, automatically. This means, that if for what ever reason, an update is going to cause you an issue with NVDA, you're gonna get that update and hopefully, find a way to either uninstall the problematic update or find a workaround. If memory serves, it's only the versions below professional that don't allow turning off updating, but I'm not 100 percent sure.
Please forgive if this has already been mentioned here in this thread specifically, I couldn't remember.

On 9/2/2015 2:58 PM, Jessica D wrote:
Hi
I've never used a braille display, with my windows computer. I do perfectly fine with my screen reader.
At this point, I plan to permanently use NVDA for my screen reader. It's much faster than jaws, and doesn't lock up your computer.
I've heard nothing but positive reviews regarding windows 10, with screen readers. Yes, as usual, there are probably accessibility issues. But that's to be expected. This software is brand-new, but things will get worked out eventually. Still, I would rather not wait.
Thanks,
Jessica

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 2, 2015, at 3:41 PM, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

Sorry about that Jessica. Sometimes you get a bit caught up in responding..
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jessica D" <jldail13@gmail.com>
From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 11:50:41 -0700

Hi,
Same principles apply: Bluetooth is essentially a wireless version of serial
port, so it is possible to use braille display protocols (it'll take hours
to explain how to write braille display support in NVDA, as it involves
intimate knowledge of how your braille display works).
Cheers,
Joseph

From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 11:46:44 -0700

Hi,
In case of NVDA, all they did was figure out the protocol used by braille
displays, and used a serial port to send and receive data (no special
drivers needed).
Cheers,
Joseph

From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 11:41:09 -0700

Hi,
For some, interfacing with braille displays means using external drivers
(Freedom Scientific ones are a good example of this).
Cheers,
Joseph

From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 14:09:47 -0400

Braille displays like all devices use their own drivers and they are not all
guaranteed to work in Windows 10.
From: "Matt" <matt.from.florida@gmail.com
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 13:51:26 -0400

Well, that is a personal thing. I will post a podcast that
might help
here.
Also you have to consider all your software and hardware will it
work with
it. Especially printers scanners and brail displays and so on.
And any
of
your special software that might not work for some reason. Also
there is
no
big hurry to do this you have almost a year to do it . So I
would wait
till
it was about six month old or so to give everything time to work
better!
Just my thoughts. See link below.

http://media.blubrry.com/blindgeekzone/www.blind-geek-zone.net/wp
-content/up

loads/gravity_forms/3-98839556b66feeea5fbbaaad6c392a4c/2015/08/BG
Z-Update-Au
gust-30-2015.mp3

Thanks,