Re: Additional Free Voices for NVDA

Gene

It appears that Kurzweil 1000 has an unrestricted version of Eloquence that you can use with NVDA.  I have no idea if it is legal or if anyone cares.  If the owners of Eloquence cared, they have had years to get Kurzweil to stop using an unrestricted version. 
However, the Eloquence provided with Openbook is restricted as is Eloquence provided with other FS products.  It can only be used with FS products. 

Also, I'll provide my experience using Eloquence provided by Kurzweil with NVDA.  I am not saying that others will have this experience.  I tried using it and it crashed and caused so many other programs to crash so often that I stopped experimenting with it after a few days.

I'm not at all sure this is the case, but it may be that the crashes were the result of a SAPI 4 version of Eloquence being used.  I don't recall seeing this stated anywhere, that SAPI 4 is being used but I think it is.  it appears to work alright with Kurzweil but I've seen and read that SAPI 4 may be unstable in Windows 7.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2015 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Additional Free Voices for NVDA

use your installed version of open book which contains it, or, K1000 has
Eloquence which can and I use it with NVDA.
-----
Curtis Delzer, HS.
K6VFO
San Bernardino, CA

On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 10:27:32 -0400
"Gerald Levy" <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

>
> On my old XP PC, I was able to use Eloquence as my default voice for NVDA because I also happened to have Open Book 7 installed as well.  But on my current Windows 7 PC, the only default voices available for NVDA are Microsoft Anna or ESpeak, neither of which appeals to me because they are not especially clear or responsive.  I am well aware that Eloquence is not available legally as a free voice for NVDA in Win 7, so I won’t even bother to get into a discussion about this sensitive issue.  In any case, are there any other free voices available for NVDA that are clearer and more responsive than Anna or ESpeak?  Thanks.
>
> Gerald
>

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.