Re: PCI Express versus SATA, New Solid State Drive

Brent Harding

I think part of why they are making it is because they hit the speed limit of what sata can do and they want to continue evolving to faster technology. I think one thing sata has over PCI Express that a limited set of users may care about is the ability to use those 2 or more into 1 sata port adapters to add extra drives if you had a machine with only 1 or two ports total, and one is taken by the CD drive. I doubt that a PCI Express splitter exists in the same way to take a larger slot and add multiple drives to it.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2016 3:15 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk]PCI Express versus SATA, New Solid State Drive

Also usually the price and for the average consumer they more than likely will not tell the difference in speed and Sata will be just fine for them and usually easier to install. JST!

Sent: Monday, January 11, 2016 2:47 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io

HI TerriLynne,

This drive is specifically for a M.2 PCIe x4 slot which my current motherboard doesn't even support.  A M.2 PCIe to PCIe adapter can be purchased, but you then have to configure your BIOS to boot from a PCIe device.  That is assuming that your BIOS is capable of doing so.  Most newer BIOS probably can, but if not you might even have to update your BIOS.  Assuming of course that a BIOS update to support booting from PCIe devices is even available for your motherboard.  LOL but the biggest reason of all, is the fact that I did not closely examine the specs for the 950 until after I had already purchased the 850 so I was not even aware that it was a different interface at the time.

Sent: Monday, January 11, 2016 2:02 AM

Will you expand on the reason you chose SATA rather than PCI express?

TerriLynne

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2016 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New Solid State Drive

Note that while the 950 is much faster, the interface is PCI Express, not SATA.

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2016 1:31 PM

Yeah good times indeed. I like you and I have spoke of in the past, have looked at both the 850’s and the 950’s. glad to see you finally grabbed yourself one.

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2016 9:21 AM

Well to begin with, a pox on the inventor of tiny screws.  I have pretty good manual dexterity, but no matter how many times I have performed the procedure, it still takes me a while to line up those pesky little screws on the mounting bracket LOL.  I had some booting issues that I still can't explain, but it seems to have been related to a problem with some of my more recent images.  Interestingly, this did not seem to affect the older drive.  It took me a while to figure this out, but once I realized what was happening, restoring from a slightly older image resolved the issue.  So as I said this was particular to my setup and has nothing to do with the drive.  With read/write speeds of up to 550/520, it is definitely much faster than my old Crucial M500.  The 3D VNAND flash used in this drive supposedly also provides improved endurance.  Samsung includes a 10 year warranty.

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2016 7:41 AM

So from your opinion, what was the primary problem with your installation of the new Samsung SSD? And how are you noticing the speed differences of this  nice little piece of new equipment?

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2016 4:59 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] New Solid State Drive

So for anyone who cares, I finally purchased and installed my new SSD last night.

The installation didn't go nearly as smoothly as I was hoping which is an understatement, but I finally got it all sorted out.  Although I suspect the problems were on my end and nothing to do with the drive itself.  Some time in the next couple of days, I will tackle installing Windows 10 in a dual boot configuration which should be a piece of cake in comparison I say knocking on wood.  Hopefully this will allow me to provide more first-hand assistance with Windows 10 related issues.  I installed 10 for a while last year shortly after it was officially released to experiment, but certain things did not work reliably for me so I couldn't justify running it full time.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.