From: "Walter Ramage" <wpr@...
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 11:26:38 +0100
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Electronics and entropy

Hi. I was just wondering because technology moves at such a rate that what
is new now is soon old and obsolete. Many people enjoy collecting the stuff
when new and keeping it for decades. I bet somebody somewhere has kept one
of the very first iPhones and kept it new in it's original packaging. There
are so many old products that would be interesting to play with such as one
of the very first compact cassette recorders or a unused 8track cartridge
machine (I enjoyed them). Or what about a video 2000 machine that Philips
introduced or a new betamax video player/recorder. Many of these things in
years to come will be valuable as collectors' items. A lot of old
technology has lasted over a century but they were mainly mechanical and
were durable, such as the old wind up gramophones. The modern technology
though is electronic and digital and I just wondered if these things would
be as durable and still function after a few decades if they were kept in
their original packaging and stored in suitable conditions. Of course, some
might work but since the media isn't available they would be of no practical
use. For example; a TV set bought in the late 1940's or early 1950's might
still work but since in the UK the broadcasting of the format it needs to
function no longer exists and eventually in the UK FM radio will cease so
if anybody bought one of the very first FM radios, eventually there will be
nothing for it to pick up but that isn't so of things like CD or DVD players
because if you have some stuff on Disc then it could still be played in
decades to come, if the hardware still worked. Walter.