Re: Bit locker

Matt

Well, I using it to encrypt my external USB drive and I not booting from it at all! I just wanted to encrypt my files on it and password them! So I think it can be used for as I did a much simpler thing!

From: Joseph Lee [mailto:joseph.lee22590@...]
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 12:57 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Bit locker

Hi,

BitLockker is a disk encryption service that prevents unauthorized persons or software from accessing contents of a disk at boot time. This is done through a combination of four things:

·         Disk encryption: The contents of the disk are encrypted securely.

·         Password: When BitLocker is enabled, you might be asked to asset a startup password.

·         USB key: You can ask Windows to not boot unless a USB key containing a password to unlock the system drive is present

·         Security chip: One can let Windows use a chip called Trusted Platform Module (TPM) at boot time to unlock the system drive.

Because BitLocker encrypts the partition where system files are stored, it uses a separate partition to store boot files (which remains unencrypted). BitLocker is available in Windows Vista Enterprise and Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate, Windows 8.x Pro and Enterprise and Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise and Education.

Cheers,

Joseph