Re: Wlm and spell checker

Flor Lynch

Gene,
I did specific Google searches on ‘Windows Live Mail spell check not working,’ and most respondents to the proffered solutions, even those that tried the then-active Microsoft Live Help forum, did not solve the problem. So, your proposed solution, which I have just read, is as good as – or better than – what I found. Though it is a general solution, for  the 2012 version.

Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 2:17 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Wlm and spell checker
this article provides instructions for repairing
Windows Livbe Mail. 
I haven't done this and I'm not fvouching for the accuracy of what is presented.  But if it is an accurate description, you may want to try a repair.  You may think that the Word spell checker is being used but, unless you have specifically modified something, it isn't.  I don't have Word on any computers I run Windows Live Mail on.  I can spell check messages.  As I said, Windows Live Mail has its own spell checker.  Repairing Windows Live Mail may correct whatever the problem is.  You may want to export your messages, account settings, addressbook, and anything else you don't want to risk loosing.  I'm not sure there is anything else to back up or export but, though unlikely, it may be possible that you may lose data when doing a repair.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 4:34 PM

Pressing f7 doesn't run the Word spell checker when using Windows Live Mail.  F7 is simply a standardized short cut command many programs use to run their spell checkers.  The same spell checker will be run if you run it from the ribbons as when using f7 in Windows Live Mail, that is, the spell checker in the program.  I believe f7 is the short cut to run the spell checker in Thunderbird as well. 

Try running the spell checker from the ribbons in Windows Live Mail and see what happens.  I doubt it will run but do the following:
Use this sequence to attempt to run the spell checker.
press alt
then type m
Then type g
For ease of following the sequence, I placed each item on its own line. 

I want to make sure that the problem is not the f7 shortcut.  I want to make sure whether the spell checker runs when running it from the ribbons. 
In a case like this more than one way to run the item should be tried, if there is more than one way. 

Gene 
Gene
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 4:08 PM

You can use the MS spell checker by pressing f7  but the thing is the checker built into WLM is not working either. I have tried every suggestion except for uninstalling and re-installing WLM which is my next step. If that does not work...?
I know the Office is working because it works when I am using Word. I don’t care which one , I just need a spell checker. 

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 1:18 PM

The MS Word spell checker should never run when you use Windows Live Mail, at least by default.  I don't know if it is possible to force Windows Live Mail to use the Word spell checker but that is not how the program is intended to be used if it is used as installed.. 

How do you know the Word Spell Checker is running?

Gene
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 1:50 PM

Well the spell checker in WLM is not working and in the past if I pressed the F7 the MS Office spell checker would run. I have done repairs on Office and on Windows Essentials with no luck. I am going to shut the system down completely and re-start to see if that has any effect. I could use word to write the emails and copy and paste as you suggest although it would be a pain. I just don’t understand why the spell checkers worked before but not now.

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 11:42 AM

The spell checker in Windows Live Mail has no connection with Microsoft Word.  Outlook Express uses the same spellchecker as in Word but not Windows Live Mail.  In other words, there is no benefit to doing anything with Word to attempt to solve this problem. 

I don't know if you uninstall Windows Live Mail and reinstall it if you loose access to your messages from the first installation.  I also don't know if they are removed.  One possible work around we can discuss is writing messages in another program such as Word, spell checking them, then copying and pasting them into Windows Live Mail.  You might want to experiment with that.  I don't know if that will cause formatting problems or other problems but that is a possible work around.

Gene
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 1:22 PM

Ran a repair, no luck then tried rebooting and again, no luck. The spell checker works in Word but not in WLM?

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.