Re: what is Web i.e. and is it still used?

Gene

The feature is in the view menu.  When you are on a web page with an article, open the view menu, alt v, and down arrow to an item that says open reader view.  Press enter to have the article shown in that view.  I haven't played with the feature much and I don't remember how to return from reader view.  I believe that using the back command or following a book mark or typing a web address in the address bar, then following it, I think all these methods will leave reader view.  I'm not sure how you leave it while staying on the page you are currently on.  I'd have to experiment and see.

Gene----- Original Message -----
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 12:52 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] what is Web i.e. and is it still used?

Oh thanks, Gene.  I'd be interested in what this feature is called.  I have tried using Fire Fox and it doesn't seem as straightforward as I.E. but I want to learn it.

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] what is Web i.e. and is it still used?

Webbie is a browser developed for blind people.  It had some use years ago when some people were using primitive screen-readers like the one called Thunder that had no browse mode and no effective way of working with web pages using a regular browser and before NVDA was developed.  There is little or no reason to use it now, especially since the one somewhat useful feature I know about is now available in Firefox.  Webbie has a feature that removes links from web pages and let's you read an article without lots of links in the middle and at the beginning of the page.  But now, firefox has a very similar feature.  I'd have to look at it again before discussing it further. 

Gene
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 11:35 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] what is Web i.e. and is it still used?

A friend is installing Windows 8 and asked if I wanted something called Web I.e. which he apparently found in a past version of Windows.  I don't know what it is but he wondered if it makes Internet Explorer more responsive, or if it's an obsolete program and doesn't work with higher versions of I.E.

Joanne

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.