Re: W10 update icon is back again

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hello,
Microsoft, would, e?si?jally, be damaging your own, property.

Sent from a BrailleNote

----- Original Message -----
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 13:03:46 -0500
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] W10 update icon is back again

Yes, and if microsoft were to make it so the old program locks the computer up, then the person would just have no computer. They wouldn't suddenly magically have money to upgrade when they couldn't before. Pam.

Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 10:39 PM

Well the chances are that even someone who is running XP will still want to surf the net, especially if that is their only computer. But it still comes down to the same thing. If you cannot afford to upgrade, then you cannot afford to upgrade. No amount of disapproval or logical arguments about security are going to change anything.
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 10:24 PM

Now how are you going to get infected if you don't have it hooked to the internet to get infected? Yes USB drives and such can get infected but if you don't use them where there is an internet connection they cannot get infected.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 8:16 PM

hi,
not true. USB worms and trojans are plentiful.

On 2/29/2016 1:59 AM, Matt wrote:

Not only that if you do not hook it to the internet you really don't have anything to worry about.

Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 6:55 PM

I agree with most of what you said except for the part about forcing people to upgrade. Not only would such a draconian approach be criminal in my opinion, but there are many users who may not be able to upgrade for financial reasons. If a company locked down my operating system and I could not afford to upgrade, they would be dealing with me in court.

Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 6:29 PM

hi,
The fact that millions of computers still use it doesn't change the fact that xp is an obsolete OS. It is a nest for malware and lacks modern hardware support. Additionally, xp systems are highly likely to be infected with malware and this malware makes these PCs attack servers, perform port scans, send out spam ETC. This affects many modern OS users as well. With this said, there is absolutely no reason to continue using xp. Using xp is not just a personal dicision. Using xp is like choosing not to vacsinate which shouldn't be a choice in the first place. If I were microsoft, I'd write a malware or something that would lock down xp systems and prevent them from booting and forcing the users to upgrade.

On 2/29/2016 1:20 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

Well, XP still commands about 10% of the Windows OS market, about the same market share as Windows 10, so rumors about its demise have been greatly exaggerated, and millions of computers still use it.

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 6:04 PM

hi,
I understand carlos. All of those are valid concerns. I was criticising those who don't upgrade because they're afraid of change and want to cling to outdated software like xp. Btw, edge will apparently get accessibility fixes in the fall earliest.

On 2/29/2016 12:57 AM, Carlos wrote:

7 will be officially supported until 2020 and 8.1 will be supported I believe until 2023. That hardly makes them obsolete and there are reasons not to immediately upgrade to 10. Privacy concerns, accessibility concerns, compatibility with older hardware/applications, issues with forced driver updates, and so on.

Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 5:50 PM

imho this is just a potential security risc. Windows 7 and 8.1 are obsolete now. Why not just upgrade instead of devising millions of tricks to trick microsoft into stopping the popups.

On 2/28/2016 3:57 PM, Matt wrote:

Well, just check for windows update and MSE was updated on W7 to a new version.

But the big thing is the W10 Icon for wanting you to upgrade to W10 is back and you will install it as it is listed in some cases as a high priority update. Depending on how you got your windows update set. So be careful or you will download and install the update. The last numbers to look for in the update is 5583 so if you see the update ending in these number and don't want the W10 icon in your system tray again then be sure to hide that update again.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.