From: Gene <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date: Saturday, 5 September 2015 10:44 pm
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] editting a recording

I haven't worked with that vile extension.. I think it is an audio/video extension. Someone else will probably discuss converting it.

Here is another thing to know about editing mp3 files. If you edit mp3 files that are not encoded at a bit rate of 320kbps, you may hear artifacts where the edit point is. I can tinker around with the precise editing controls in Mp3 Direct Cut and work on the edit until the artifact is gone but I can't always do this. therefore, you may want to convert to something like wave and edit using another program or you may want to try editing in Mp3 Direct cut and you may want to use the 320kbps encoding when you convert the mov file to mp3. Mp3 direct Cut is a very easy program to edit with and it's free. If you want to try goldwave, there is a demo and you can edit using a lossless format and see what you think. I haven't used Goldwave enough to compare ease of editing between that program and Mp3 Direct cut. But since reencoding an mp3 file once shouldn't result in the loss of much sound quality, you may want to edit the 320kbps file in mp3 direct cut, save it, then use a file conversion program to lower the bit rate.

it isn't necessarily easy to discuss these sorts of topics by e-mail. You may want to discuss them by phone or by Skipe or in some other way where whomever is advising you can talk in real time.
Gene