From: Ron Canazzi [mailto:aa2vm@roadrunner.com]
Sent: 03 April 2016 13:32
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Virtual reality, will we be left behind once more?

Hi Group,

I've been hearing about this virtual reality business for several years
now and it's frightening. We already have a mass media that is ever
increasingly corporate, elitist and dominating. Just imagine if this is
a total immersion experience rather than just a sight and sound you can
be distracted from or that you at all times realize is just that--sight
and sound--not any kind of reality.

taken to it's ultimate extreme, people could be taken back to 1930's
Germany or 1930's Russia and get caught up in the emotion and drama of
the situation and actually come to believe that those times were worth
bringing to the present. Since the blind will probably never be fully
immersed in that type of reality, It may be up to the blind in that case
to save the world??!! At any rate, it's good fodder for a science
fiction futuristic dystopian novel.

On 4/3/2016 6:58 AM, Walter Ramage wrote:
Hi all. I just heard part of a BBC world service programme about the
growth
and future impact of Virtual reality. It was stated that to begin with
the
main users would be gamers but this will eventually expand to all walks of
life giving the user a unique experience. Now keeping in mind this
experience is a mainly visual one then blind people are going to be
excluded
from taking advantage of this new technology.

Of course, it appeared that way when desk top computers arrived on the
scene
until screen readers made their appearance but regardless of that, with
the
increased use of graphics, screen readers are forever playing catch up and
there are still some things we can't take advantage of, regardless of a
screen reader. Another example was touch screen mobiles. When they
became
popular we blind folk had to stick to mobiles with physical keypads.
Then
along came voice over and talk back and we once more caught up somewhat.

What about visual reality though? As this is almost entirely a visual
experience will we be left behind once more and will we ever be able to
catch up or will it be a situation where the rest of the world moves on
with
their virtual reality experiences but we blind folk just lose out? Unless
in future the equipment can bypass the eyes and send the signal direct to
the part of the brain that deals with imagery then I can't see how we can
enjoy that new tech. But there is one factor that is a negative with
going
straight to the part of the brain that handles vision and imagery, what
about those folk who have been born from birth and have no idea of what to
expect, would using virtual reality be a terrifying and traumatic
experience. Maybe there is some factor I've not taken into consideration
or
there are things in the pipeline I'm not aware of but I'd be interested in
your opinions. One final point, There are a group of blind folk who have
never had sight, or have lost what sight they had decades ago and some of
those I've spoke to wouldn't want any vision virtual or otherwise so I
guess
those individuals will have no interest how this technology develops.
Walter.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"