Re: Listening to the radio on 3g? Is it really such agood idea?

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
Have you used a 3g, though?

Sent from a BrailleNote

----- Original Message -----
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 01:42:35 -0400
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Listening to the radio on 3g? Is it really such agood idea?

I've never had a problem and listened to the radio for several hours at a time.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 10:30 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Listening to the radio on 3g? Is it really such a good idea?

Hi Rajmund,

You still may need to ascertain from your provider...

However, I now know that my previous two replies here (apart from replying to Gene) were incorrect. (You can scrap/delete those.) I was getting confused between the bit-rate of the stream, and what the telecomms use as their measurement (which is bytes/kilobytes/megabytes of data. Basically, there are 8 bits in a byte of data. So, at 64 kBps, or kilobits per second, youì…±e getting 8 kilobytes a second. Thus, in a minute or 60 secs, you get
480 kB (kilobytes). (If the stream were 128kBps, you'd get 960 Kb
(kilobytes) of downloaded data. . Unbfortunately, for most of us, the computers are better at calculating this sort of thing than we are. As a further wrinkle, there are 1024 iB in a megabyte, and really not 1000!
However, we don't know what your provider uses for their calculations. It is, however, likely that you can do a fair amount of radio streams listening within your allowance quota - assuming that it's a reasonable quota by today's hi-speed broadband standards.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 6:18 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Listening to the radio on 3g? Is it really such a good idea?

Hi all,
For reasons, I only have 3g wifi, as of this point. As some of you will know, I like listening to the radio, rather than having own collection. So, here's the question. I think I know the answer, but just want to confirm.
So, I use m3u files, that are between 128 and 64 kbps.. Am I right to think, that this means if I listen to a radio station for an hour, and it is a 64 kbps, does it mean I will use up 3840 kb off the 3g? Any clarification is appreciated!

Sent from a Braille Sense

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.