From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@iol.ie
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 03:29:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Listening to the radio on 3g? Is it really such agood idea?

Hi Rajmund,

You still may need to ascertain from your provider...

However, I now know that my previous two replies here (apart from replying
to Gene) were incorrect. (You can scrap/delete those.) I was getting
confused between the bit-rate of the stream, and what the telecomms use as
their measurement (which is bytes/kilobytes/megabytes of data.
Basically,
there are 8 bits in a byte of data. So, at 64 kBps, or kilobits per second,
youì…±e getting 8 kilobytes a second. Thus, in a minute or 60 secs, you get
480 kB (kilobytes). (If the stream were 128kBps, you'd get 960 Kb
(kilobytes) of downloaded data. . Unbfortunately, for most of us, the
computers are better at calculating this sort of thing than we are. As a
further wrinkle, there are 1024 iB in a megabyte, and really not 1000!
However, we don't know what your provider uses for their calculations. It
is, however, likely that you can do a fair amount of radio streams listening
within your allowance quota - assuming that it's a reasonable quota by
today's hi-speed broadband standards.