Re: another wlm question. this time it involves a folder

Robin Frost

Hi,
I’m glad Michael suggested removing the entire account and putting it back to clear up the problem as that was where I was going next with suggestions.
the beauty of IMAP is you can do such without incurring any losses.
the only other point I would ad is you can create and usually delete such folders within your GMAIL accounts for synchronizing across all devices usually with no ill effects rather than having to use storage folders which are local only.  I just didn’t want anyone to think that one couldn’t do this via the client as it’s quite doable usually.
I’m glad all’s well that ends well (smile).
Robin

Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:27 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] another wlm question. this time it involves a folder

Michael:

In an earlier message for this thread, I mentioned I logged onto the site and ended up locating the cooking, techtalk and jaws labels, which those are the folders I see in the trash folder in the wlm client.  I thought by deleting the labels that it would iliminate them from wlm but they are still there. I will remove the account right now, and will report the results after I put the email account back in before I click send.

Ok, I just deleted and readded the account to wlm and good grief! I thank-you so much for your assistance and patience!  I looked under the trash folder and the items that were not being deleted, are now gone!

Thanks a million!

From: Michael via Groups.io [mailto:michael_boyd.70359@...]
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 9:58 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Kimsan,

Have you by chance logged into your account on the Gmail website? I am just curious to hear what you might find there. I do not think you are going to find the Cooking folder on the website, and therein lies the problem I am afraid. I do not remember, have you tried removing the account and then reconfiguring it? Let me know please.

Michael

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 10:08 PM

K, Michael, when I did that, restarted my computer, I enter the kimsansong@... folder  and expanded the trash, I still see the cooking folder.

I then receive this message:

Windows Live Mail

Some errors occurred while processing the requested tasks.  Please Hidereview the list of errors below for more details.

Stop

<< Details

Tasks Errors

Unable to send or receive messages for the Gmail (kimsansong) account. Header

download for the 'cooking' folder did not complete. Could not select 'cooking' on the IMAP

server. Try updating the folder list and then try again.

Server Response: NONEXISTENT] Unknown Mailbox: [Gmail]/Trash/cooking (now in

authenticated state) (Failure)

Server: 'imap.gmail.com'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCCD2

Protocol: IMAP

Port: 993

Secure(SSL): Yes

1 of 2 tasks have completed successfully

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 6:08 PM

This is why they give you the storage folders . You can create and delete folders and messages as  you like under the storage folders because they are stored on your computer, not the email server. Gmail has no folder called cooking, and by creating that folder within your account, you are putting something there that the Gmail servers do not recognize, therfore kicking it back as an error message. You are going to have to try deleting the folder out of there by another means. Go to your user’s folder, and open the App Data folder, and then the Local folder. Now press M for Microsoft, and open this folder, then press W until you find Windows Live Mail. Here you will have the different account folders listed, the names will not be exactly the same, but the first few letters of the account name will be there followed by some random letters and numbers, so you should be able to identify which account is which. Press Enter to open the account folder, and find the Cooking folder. If you want to keep this folder, then Cut and Paste it into some location outside of the App Data folder. Now, close all of this stuff and close and restart Windows Live Mail, you may even have to restart your computer for the change to take effect, but the next time you open Windows Live Mail, the Cooking folder will not appear within your account any longer. If you wish to, you can scroll down to the Storage folders in the Windows Live Mail application, press left arrow to close the Storage Folders, then open the Context menu and select new folder, and name it Cooking. Now go to wherever you put the Cooking folder from the App Data folder, and cut it again. Now go back into App Data/Local/microsoft/windows live mail/storage folders/, and past the folder into this location, The messages should now appear back in the WWLM application, under the Storage Folders, in the Cooking Folder that you created.

Michael

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 9:38 AM

Move option is unavailable.

After deleting the labels, here is what it says now after opening wlm.

One of the folders I have and I am trying to delete is called cooking, btw.

Windows Live Mail

Could not select 'cooking' on the IMAP server. Try updating the folder list and

then try again.

OK Details >>

When I update the folder, still the same results.

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 5:12 AM

Kimsan,

Try selecting the “Move” item in the context menue while focused on the folder that you want to delete, and when the Move Dialogue opens up, arrow down to the deleted items folder and then press Enter. See if this doesn’t move the folder, then try to “Empty” your deleted items folder to permantly delete the folder.

Michael

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 12:44 AM

Michael

No.

I am in one of the folders as I type this. The context menu says move, close, etc. Now, under the folder option there is a delete split button with a few options for example, empy junk folder, empty delete folder but no delete folder. I’m going to try one more thing since I’m here.

Ah, forget it. That didn’t work.

I was on the gmail site and I saw the labels which are the same exact name of what I am seeing in the trash, so I deleted the labels but they are still under the trash in wlm. I’m all confused and have no more beer until after work tomorrow lol.

Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 10:27 PM

Do  you get any kind of explanation as to why you cannot delete a folder that you created? These should be the easiest ones to delete. I see the “New Folder” item on the context menu for WLM, which will create a folder within an account. Is there a Move command in this menu if you create your own folder within an account? If so, click on this and then move the folder to the Deleted Items folder, then choose Empty Deleted Items.

Michael

Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 12:47 PM

Michael and Robin:

The folders I’m referring to are folders I’ve created.  They are not the standard folders created by providers. I’ve tried multiple times to delete them but a no go.

Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:35 AM

Hi again Kimsan,

The folders that you see under any one given email account depends on that particular provider. In other words, gmail might provide different folders than yahoo, etc. You should always have an Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, Trash or Junk folder and a Deleted items folder, these are default to WLM. Just what the email service provider also includes, you do not have too much control over, and any possibility of deleting these folders would have to be done on the account providers web mail page through your browser.

Michael

Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 1:13 AM

Subject: [TechTalk] another wlm question. this time it involves a folder

WLM is beginning to PO me lol.

Ok, I have my gmail, aol and charter email accounts set up as imap all in wlm.

Under my kimsansong@... account treview, there is a trash folder treview, when I expand it with right arrow, press down arrow, I hear the name of sub folders.  Are these ssubfolders in the trash folder or are they not.  What I want to do is delete the folders so I tap the alt key, right arrow to the folder tab and select delete folder but then it gives me the keytip to empty the deleted items, which it does but I want those subfolders gone.  Another thing I would do is press enter and go into the subfolders and rinse and repeat by tapping the delete folder option under the folder tab but it’s still there. Ug, I’m tempted to go drink… lol

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.