Re: HP Pavilion?

Carlos

These inexpensive devices generally work fine.  Just be aware that many of them only include a microphone input.  If you want to use it for recording, you will want one that also has a line input.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] HP Pavilion?

I found a  stereo Sabrent USB external sound card at Amazon for seven bucks.  It has high reviews.  I didn’t know they are so inexpensive.  I’ll give this one a try since it claims that it is plug and play.

Many thanks to Mat, Gene, and Carlos for answers to all of my rookie questions.

Here is a link below for any one who is interested.

James

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 8:40 AM

Not really.  At least not that I am aware of.  If you pick a particular model, just make sure to look for reviews online.
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 9:10 AM

Since acessibility isn’t normally an issue, you just answered my question.

Now, down to my last question, are users having better results with certain brand names?

James

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 8:07 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by more accessible.  A USB sound card works like any other sound card.  It presents itself as an audio device in Control Panel under the
"Sound"
dialog so accessibility is usually not an issue.
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 8:53 AM

Which question are you answering?  And, Are some brands better and more accesible?

James

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 7:51 AM

Most of the time! But not always.

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 8:43 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

So, the USB external sound card will download its drivers from Windows and will work right out of the box?  Will I need to turn off my computer’s current internal sound card?

James

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 7:37 AM

If you just want to use a USb card for playing audio, all you have to do is plug it into a USB port.  However, most features offered by the sound card, such as recording, will not be available unless you install the basic software that comes with the card.  I don't know if it is possible to generalize about how accessible installation is from sound card to sound card. 

I'll let others deal with the other questions you raise.

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 7:27 AM

Hi Matt,

How can a USB sound card help with a fresh install?  Also, what brand of USB do you recommend?  And, last, are these USB cards easy for a blind person to install?

Thanks in advance,

James Bentley

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 7:06 AM

Also the chance of the onboard card dying is very slim I have never had one dye I know of. I have had this dell desktop XPS I think it is a model 8100 for at least 6 years if not more and have never had the first problem with the sound that is on board and I don’t have a sound card in this one as it had such a great onboard sound system. What I did was get a graphic card for it rather than using the on board graphics as I wanted a graphic board that had its own memory instead of sharing my computer memory.

Now there is an advantage to having a USB card for several reason. One you can have the system sounds and such come thru one and the other for just jaws. Also it might come in helpful if ever needing to do a complete fresh install.

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 4:54 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Unless you know or are willing to pay someone who can install an internal card, a USB sound card will work just as well.

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 2:55 AM

Hi

The reason I would like a second sound card is because the original one is integrated into the system.  If the sound card dies, I don’t know who could fix it.

Marsha

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.